1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New and want to plow!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BRENTMAN, Oct 12, 2008.

BRENTMAN Senior Member

ive been interested in plowing driveways in the neighborhood for the last couple of years now, and i'm thinking about doing it this year since its still early enough to get started.
    i have a 2005 jeep wrangler thats in great condition and i think i'd rather buy a new plow to put on that, as opposed to buying a piece of sh*t old truck with a piece of sh*t old plow.....i want to get the sno-way 22".
    I know nothing about plowing, so any good startup advice would be greatly appreciated. I know you guys deal with newb kids everyday asking the same damn questions, but please give me some hints: WHO, WHAT, WHEN ,WHERE and WHY kind of advice, ya know?
    My jeep is 6 cyl. 4.0l and 4wheel drive....would it be a good idea to put a plow on it? if so, what kind? I just want to do some driveways around the neighborhood to make some easy cash....

well this is all for my first post, my name is Brent and i love this site, and i'd love to learn more about plowing.
    Thanks a lot guys & gals.....
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The Jeep will make an excellent driveway plow, I've used them for 20 years. go for the widest plow you can put on it. when angled, the path a 6' plow will make is not as wide as the jeep. do a search on my other posts as I have covered it all, from mounting the controller to how to get customers. Check out the Jeep thread further down on the page.
  3. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

BRENTMAN Senior Member

the plowmeister! im happy to see you responded to my post, i've read some of your stuff on here. Thanks a lot dude i'll def. be reading as much as possible (as i have been ) . Also i'd like to say im quite jealous of your jeep and setup.....What do you think i should put on my jeep as far as tires go? and i want a sno-way 22"....probably the 6'8 i suppose? i think thats the largest they can put on my jeep, maybe a 7'...i forget...

BRENTMAN Senior Member

thanks a lot brothaman, i'll be reading that later on today......for now, its already 6:15am and i'm about to go chase some steelhead down at the river.....the sun will be up soon so i gotta run! later man
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome to the site and the wonderful world of snow removal,
    The Sno-Way will make a great plow on your Jeep.
  7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get a Fisher Homesteader. Fisher makes the best plows I wouldn't buy any thing else.

BRENTMAN Senior Member

a fisher? Ive never really looked into them....why would that be better than a snoway?
    i hear snoway is pretty much the best plow....plus i really like the down pressure feature...that would really help out a lot no doubt....

what do you guys think about putting a plow on my 05' jeep in the first place? --as far as wear&tear? Every person i tell says not to, cause itll screw up my jeep pretty bad (but keep in mind the ones who say that dont know much about plowing, though they do make good points)

im just so back and forth on it, i want to plow so damn bad but i just have no idea what i'm truly getting myself into.......what i have in my mind seems too good to be true...
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did you ever buy a Plow for your truck.... or a truck for that matter?

What kind off Fisher do you have on the at ATV you play around with?

If you keep your brand blinders to tight
    As you’re plowing on into the night
    that you could do better
    In miserable weather
    If you could see to your left and your right
  10. theplowmeister

from MA

I get about 30k miles and about 60 days of HARD 4weeling and 1,500 driveways plowed before I have to start with F end work. some of my F end stuff lasts for 100K (Ball joints)

go to the jeep thread and ask that question. answers from ford, chevy and dodge arnt worth much for Jeeps. (now I'm in trouble;))

If want the jeep to last forever park it in the garage anything else will wear it out.

BRENTMAN Senior Member

right, i know maintenance is a part of it, but what i dont want to do is tear my new and nice jeep to shreds all over some extra spending money from plowing driveways. Its my only car and if i somehow raise the money for the plow, installation, and probably new tires, i definitely dont have money laying around to throw into fixing all kinds of problems....yeah i'll make some good money plowing, but i dont want to have to throw ALL of it back into my jeep and plow...i'd like to make a bit of a profit, obviously. (And when i'm off duty, my jeep will be inside a garage)

basically my main concern is: will plowing driveways with my jeep destroy it?
    also keep in mind my monthly payments just to have the jeep are very expensive as it is...
  12. ultimatetrucks

ultimatetrucks Junior Member

Sounds to me like you better stay in bed and get a good night of sleep cause anything unexpected could happen and cost you money remember backing out of a drive in the dark and bam you back over the neighbors mailbox or vehicle parked in street trust me things sneek up on you its dark and your in unfamilar territory. Go buy a 4-wheeler or a Polaris ranger and cab it and plow your heart out then you don't have to worry about tearing up your only wheels and you have something to plow with and if it dosen't work out then you can sell that instead of a plow you owe more on than it is worth as it is used and used people want cheap as they can't finance used as they can new. Not wanting to be harsh but something to think about.
  13. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Spoken from experience?:dizzy::confused:
  14. ultimatetrucks

ultimatetrucks Junior Member

Spoken from experience?

Been plowing for 17 years was raised in a family that plows and I own a company that sells Hiniker Plows Ultimate Trucks Plus!!
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  15. theplowmeister

from MA

My current Jeep 2000 wrangler has 125K my last Jeep had 250K Both Jeeps plowed every winter. a minimum of 60 drives per storm. so it's not going to destroy it. But then Ive seen people destroy a brand new jeep in 1 mile of off roading.

BRENTMAN Senior Member

screw all of that man i want to throw a nice snoway on my jeep to battle snow with and plow the sh*t out of driveways across my city....i love the sounds of it and everything about it but i'm just being hesitant and worried since its all a brand new thing to me...but i got the drive for it man, trust me. I think i should just grow the balls (and find some cash) and get me a plow and get busy...i was also considering just getting hired with a landscaping company that plows and just plow for them this year to learn the tricks and such but who knows....

BRENTMAN Senior Member

thats reassuring man, thanks
  18. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, get INSURANCE! There goes another $1-$2k. ;) Your standard auto insurance WILL NOT cover anything you damage. There goes any profit if something happens and you scrape down the side of a customers' Escalade!

BRENTMAN Senior Member

what, plowing insurance? do i just go through my regular auto insurance company for that? Cant i just add something to a disclaimer ?
  20. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

You will need commercial auto insurance........