1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New and the Newbie section doesn't really apply

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Colerider, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Colerider

Colerider Junior Member

OK, so I have a good friend who is an out of work mechanic. Last winter he worked for a company plowing using the CAT, he has also subbed for another friend who plows.

Our other friend has been plowing for the same company for years....The guy provides the insurance as well as the jobs and pays a per lot rate for plowing and a rate for salting so x2 if you do both.

I've debated buying my friend a plow truck and having him do all the repairs and upkeep, cover the insurance and salt...well once he starts getting paid that is....and basically taking a 20 - 25% cut on everything he does.

My question is, is this a good investment. I've seen lots of plow trucks out there. He of course wants a diesel which is a little harder to find but from my end, I'm looking at it as an investment, also because I have a motorcycle and it would be nice to have a pickup around to use in the off season to trailer down to daytona or other events.

Oh and I'm not made of money and only looking to spend under 4K up front. Our friend who works for the company has already said if he has a truck he can get him 5 lots to start which works out to $100 to plow and $100 to salt per lot per snowfall - $1000 per snowfall. He said with his own truck he made about 15K last year so I'm looking at that and thinking...ok...20% is about 3K so it pays for the truck by the end of the season and I have a truck worth money.

let me know what you guys think if you could. Also if you have any other questions that I need to ask that I'm not thinking of that would be ideal too.

As an example, I found this 1992 Chevy 2500 4x4 with 6.5 Turbo Diesel. 230K miles automatic. Well maintained. Comes with 8.5 ft Western Unimount snow plow. for $3500.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Personally I thing it is a bad idea.
    Friends won't be friends when there is money and time involved later down the road.

3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

What happens if we only get 1 inch of snow this year ? 20% of nothing = nothing.
    What if he runs over a kid while plowing ? If the truck is in your name it's you that will be held responsible.
    What if that $4k truck needs $6K worth of work ?( like my $35K truck did last year )
    What if he gets sick, Drunk , High , His mother dies, his dog dies, his hemorrhoids flare up and he doesn't show up to work ?
    What if we get a 3 1/2 foot snow storm and the lot's that only take an hour normally take 5 hours?
    What if his 1 truck breaks down during a storm and all your customers call a real snow removal company that can account for a missing driver or 2 ?

I think i would pass. Spend the $4k on lotto tickets or some thing. At the end of the day all you can lose is $4k. Putting some one in a $4k rolling piece of rust and expecting them to make money for either of you just wont work.

4. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

fantastic!

5. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

GEEZ, far to much honest, level headed reasoning in this post! :dizzy::D

6. B.Bells

B.Bells Senior Member

and thats a bad thing? not from my stand point. Trust me thats the best advice you'll get. When i first started my company i went the friends route. and no thank you. dont do anything but cost you money! and thats only the start. then you lose your friendship etc... id play the lotto better chances of winning!

7. Leanworks

Leanworks Member

Terrible investment. A guy that can fix things and has no job while **** needs to be fixed everywhere is out of sinc with the world. The idea is good and, your friend is probably stellar, but if he doesn't have the incentive to find a car that doesn't work, what good is he?

8. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

.its hard to be friends and a boss at the same time to begin with 'then the money and friends thing comes into play' keep a friend .you buy the truck .pay him to fix it and do your accts

9. Colerider

Colerider Junior Member

Thank you for the brutal honesty.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I thought for sure I put a post up here.........

11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if you feel so good bout the sitiuation....then loan him the 4 grand and make hime pay you back with interest.....just get him to sign something...then its more of a loan than a partnership

12. Colerider

Colerider Junior Member

I hear you, the thing is that I really want an off season pickup that I can use for my bike and also want to get a dirt bike but need something to haul it out to sites. My sedan won't cut it but is way better for everything else.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Plowsite ghost.

Halloween is coming up, after all.