1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New and stumped!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bastalker, Mar 12, 2003.

1. bastalker

bastalker Junior Member
    from Ct.

Hi all...I have a problem with my plow lights flickering..When I first started it was a bearable problem...It is gettin worse to the point that it looks like a strobe light. I have to litterally turn them off when o plow. I dont have dual batteries and the battery that is in it is used. Would the battery cause this, a loose connection?, (although I cant seem to find one). Even when I am not plowing, just driving on the hwy, they will just go off. Have to turn off the lights and turn them back on then it seems to be alright.
    The light swith is wired to the head lights and the plow lights...Up position plow lights, down position headlights. They are brand new lights I bought but didn't install...Needless to say it is driving me nuts...
    I did a search and didn't come up with anything...:confused: :help:

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Do your regular truck headlights do this too? How about your running/parking/clearance lights, they flashing too?

What kind of truck?

What brand plow/wiring harness?

Where were the lights spliced in at?

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

There is a circuit breaker that is in the headlamp switch which will trip when the circuit overloads.It could just be a bad switch.If it happens on both truck and plowlights,I'd look at replacing the headlamp switch.If it only does it on the plow lamps,then maybe a problem related to the plow lamp wiring only,even the plow lamp selector switch.

4. flmusj

flmusj Junior Member

Is it possible that it is a ground problem?

5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Flmusj beat me to it

I was gonna suggest that it might be a groud problem. Also check the actual light housings connection to the plow frame, they may be loose and the vibration may cause the flickering ( its also sort of a ground issue)

6. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

I'd vote for a ground problem. check for corrosion and be sure the fastener is tight.

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Earlier this winter my plow wouldn't work properly at all. Seemed like all the valves opened at once. It turned out to be a rusted out ground connection. It was just wrapped up the that wireloom stuf, not watertight at all. I cut the loom off, repaired the connection and put dielectric grease inside and out of the connector, put heatshrink on it, and taped up using that weather seal electrical tape stuff. Havent had a problem since!

Hopefully it is justa simple grounding issue (which it sounds like, like everyone else has already said)

-John

8. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I second Wyldman's idea. It sounds like the headlight switch. Replace it with a heavier duty one or put a relay in. Your stock switch can't take the extra drain the plow lights put on. I had the exact same problem.

9. bastalker

bastalker Junior Member
    from Ct.

Grounds seem to be fine..I will replace the switch though...thanks!! 2-4 tomarrow??:drinkup:

10. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

Check for corrosion on the oe lights. check the prongs of oe lamps. my truck had the same problem because of bad connections to the oe lamps, the plow harness is tapped into this. also i took the ground wires from each of the plow lights and directly grounded to the plow frame.

11. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

Last but not least check the oe harness to truck lights if it is an older truck ie. non halogen

12. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

Sounds like a loose connection or a bad ground.
    JP