1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New and need some Insight

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Triton2286, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Hi Everyone

I am new to the site and new to plowing. I actually have not plowed before but a buddy of mine is letting me ride with him this winter to get some seat time so that I may either work for him next winter or find work with someone else.

I plan on purchasing my own truck for next winter and could use some help with what to look for exactly. I know I want a 3/4ton since I would use it to tow my boats (some hitting 10,000lbs) from time to time so I want to go with a virgin truck so that I can keep her in impeccable shape, since I wouldn't want to haul a load that heavy with a beat up plow truck with a shotty frame.

I have always been a fan of Fords and Chevy's and hadn't considered a Dodge at all but in my area they seem to always be priced better.

Diesel vs Gas
    is 2wd doable as long as I have extra weight in the rear or is 4wd a real necessity?

I'm really looking for some insight on what to look for in a truck in terms of mileage and everything else as well as plows.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. Brownboots

Brownboots Junior Member

If you plan on a brand new truck, just remember that you are not going to pay yourself back in a couple of seasons mostly being new to the industry. By that I mean not having large accounts and reputation to get big accounts yet. A brand new ford f=250 with a plow is BIG bucks, and don't forget insurance on that brand new truck. Monthly costs for those two things are enough to wipe you out if we have a season like this one. There are plenty of quality used trucks out there. Find a good mechanic you trust and bring the used truck to him and go from there. There is always a time to get the newest and best but just getting started I would go used. And to boot what if you hate plowing (long hours, peoples b.s., breakdowns) now your stuck. Just my opinion.

3. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

I guess I wasn't quite clear about "virgin" truck.

What I meant was "virgin" to plowing, not a brand new truck. Sorry about that.

4. Brownboots

Brownboots Junior Member

Now that sounds better. Everyone on here likes a certain make. I myself like ford. Bad turning radius but all-in-all good trucks. Everyone I'm sure has bought a lemon not of there own fault but just got caught up in murphys law. I would find a solid truck that hasn't been plowed and also find a plow dealer or dealers around you and go talk to them and feel them out. Service is key. You pretty much have the pick litter to pick from. What brand of truck and plow. When your out pushing this year look around and see what others are using and try to talk to them and get some input. Not all plow drivers are a-holes, when maybe after a 20 hour push. Good luck

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

plowing and impeccable don't go together!

6. golfcar

golfcar Member

T2286: If you are going to plow you will need 4x4.

7. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Golf

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew I would most likely go with 4wd out of common sense, but I was just curious about it with a plow truck b/c i see plenty of plow trucks for sale that are 2wd and that didn't make sense to me.

8. nick4634

nick4634 Member

The only time you can get away with 2wd on a plow truck is if its a dually and your plowing lots or flat ground. Even then you will probably get stuck. on your ride alongs just notice how often the driver is in 4x4

9. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Rule #1: Buy a truck with 4wd.

Rule #2: Things will break.

Rule #3: Always keep a 12 pack in the fridge at home.

10. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

4wd, gas. Look at the new F150 with Eco boost. Great mileage, better ride and still tows over 11,000. I would not buy an f250 again.

11. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Not looking for brand new

12. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

You're in good shape. Do all your homework now. Definitely 4wd, like was said. (I don't always use it while plowing, but I sure wouldn't want to not have it.) I've seen a lot of really nice trucks for decent prices here lately. Find one that an older gentlemen had. Lower miles, easy life. If you've got 9 months or so to find one, you can be very picky!

13. highhog1

highhog1 Senior Member

Do you plan on salting with it? Consider the extra weight that would be in the bed.

14. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Well I'm back, since this past winter sucked so back in my part of NY, the only time I got in a truck this winter was to drive to Rhode Island and spent 16hrs observing my buddy plowing. Didn't have the money or time to worry about getting a truck for this coming winter so hopefully we will get some snow this time and I can get some seat time again.

I have already committed to purchasing my friends 96' F350 after this winter and I will have to buy a plow myself as he is quite attached to his Boss V Plow lol.

Hope to be able to really contribute here in the coming years.

Thanks for the previous help regarding my original post.

15. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

When you get a truck email me and i can set you up, were expanding and have no problem putting new guys out to learn the trade, good luck

16. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I think you need to get behind the wheel and drive a plow truck, no need to put it off ! Your buying a truck and plow and you don't even know if you like to plow yet ! Some like to watch and some like to do it, and at this point you are only the watcher, Plowing is much more then just having a truck and plow, Find a way to get behind the wheel this winter and plow don't put it off. then you can plan from there ! Thumbs Up

17. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

That is why they are 4 sale