1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New and need some help with a couple things.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TLEE77, Sep 29, 2014.

1. TLEE77

TLEE77 Junior Member

Hello all first let me thank everyone who posts here for all the awesome advice before becoming a member here i would reads threads and have gotten so much great information.

So this was my first year mowing grass for myself and now that the snow season is quickly coming I need to send my customers a letter to ask if there interested in snow removal (driveway&sidewalk). Does anyone here have a sample letter that i could send to my customers asking if there interested in this service.

Some advice on equipment to clear snow with would also help since i've been debating between putting a snow plow on my truck, getting a garden tractor with a plow or atv with a plow.

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Use the same letter format you use for acquiring summer work.
    Have you decided type of quote, per push or seasonal?
    Have you determined or have an idea of the operation cost to help with pricing out the work?
    Do you need to add snow work to you G/L policy, if so do you know how much it's going to cost?
    How many property's, what's the size and the distance between them will help with what equipment is needed.
    Garden tractors are slow, ATV's are faster but aren't the best for scraping clean if the snow has been driven on and they both need a trailer. If property's are small have you considered a Blower?
    If you do go with a plow on the pick up just get a 8ft straight blade, buy something that has great local dealer support and since you're just starting out buy used.

3. TLEE77

TLEE77 Junior Member

Buff
    Thanks for reply i have a snow blower and shovels but didnt want someone new to come along and need service that i wasnt prepared for.
    As for pricing ive been trying to see what other guys in my area charge so that my rates are competitive and im covering all the cost for me to operate. I have 2 trailers to haul equipment on but as you said some smaller plow dont get down to the ground like a snow blower will.

I dont want to seem to high in price and not land the business yet dont want to be to low and not cover my cost people in my area are so cheap even for grass service they want the most outta me for the least outta them.

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If all you're doing is small in town drives that are 2cars wide and one or two cars deep a blower is all you need. There's plenty of guys that have gotten started this way and continue to use blowers for small stuff. Low operating cost, no trailer needed, not problems with stacking snow and does a good job.

If you're already mowing for these people it should make it a little easier on you since you know their threshold when it comes to cost, along with them knowing you. As example; If you do the typical trim, mow, blow and get paid $30.00 a week, clearing the drive and sidewalk would be about the same up to 6"(generally speaking).

There's a company called Task Easy https://www.taskeasy.com/
    You 'll see they're a broker and give online quotes for mowing and snow removal. If they service you area use one of your lawn customers addresses to see how much they would charge to mow and do the same for plowing snow, compare their mowing price against yours to see what difference there is. Depending on what you find it can give you an idea of what to charge for snow plowing.
    What I suggested is just a way to see what your market is like, only you know what you need to make to cover cost.

5. TLEE77

TLEE77 Junior Member

Buff i will check that site out and get back with you thanks again

6. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Their prices are a little high came out to 175 an acre when I used them for quotes. But I am a contractor for task easy I love it

7. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

If you plan on doing this long term get a plow. Especially if you already have a 4x4 truck. I recommend boss there's a great place in new Carlisle called custom way welding...awesome guys. Here's my number text me if you want some info. 9376317181

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

As I said they're just source to get an idea of what the market area is like.
    I don't nor do I personally know anyone that works for them or uses them.

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I would def put a plow on your truck

10. TLEE77

TLEE77 Junior Member

Fannin76 Thanks for all the great advice and contacts you have made this a lot easier on me.

Buff I check out task easy and its pretty good a little high but with there numbers i have a better idea of what to charge i looked up about 5 address including my own to have a baseline to start at so thanks

11. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Tlee77 you ever figure this **** out?