1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New and need some help estimating some properties

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by weckel5984, Oct 31, 2011.

1. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

This year I am offering snow removal as a service and have several apartments that have requested bids. All of these properties only require plowing of the common drive area (no parking stalls) and salting afterwards. I am only used to up to now bidding on driveways where you are in and out in two passes. Also, I will be using a dumpbed with spreader on the back for bulk salt. I have a general idea how much salt i will need for the other properties but just the size of these make it hard to estimate. In general, how much does a ton of salt cover? Please give me some advise. All of these are pretty much straight pushes. In the second picture, the measurements for each of the parking drives on either side of street (all cars are parked in garage) is 30x570. In the third the dimensions for each level of the lot is 40x90.The properties can be seem here:

Thanks in advance for the advise! Just want to make sure my bid is not over the top or too low. Also, this will be bid on a per push.

apt 1.jpg

apt2.jpg

apt3.jpg

2. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

dog eat dog world guy. Sometimes you find not so friendlies on the site so don't share to much information that could cost you.

3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

A ton of salt will cover roughly 3 acres. Give or take, depending on conditions and temps, among other things. Also, what are you using to plow these places, that will determine how long it takes you.

4. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

I have a f350 with an 8' boss plow and bulk salter

5. Bossman 92

I am guessing a straight blade, how about the trigger?

The more info you can give the better we can help you.

6. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

its a 2" trigger and yeah its a straight blade.

7. Bossman 92

OK, what do you think you should price the lots at? You know how fast you can work, how long it will take to get to each lot, traffic, ect. Throw a $ at me (either here or via pm) and I will tell you if you are high or not (to the best of my ability).

I want you to get the work, but would like to see what you come up with on your own.

Bossman

8. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

just pm'ed you

9. Bossman 92

In the 2nd pic, are you doing 2 of the streets, correct?

10. Bossman 92

My bad, 3 streets?

11. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

the street is edroy ct, which i am not plowing. the 2 lots on either side are going to be straight pushed.

12. Bossman 92

You have mail! Let me know what you think.

Bossman

13. Remstar

Remstar Member

O come on share, its a forum! We are just shootin numbers around here

14. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

if he's new he will not beable to know how fast he can plow for starters. I love this " I m new and have never plowed but I told these people I could give them a price WTF!!! go work for someone for a year or two. do you even know how to operate a sander?? how are you getting it loader from a supply house where your paying up the butt for salt? do your home work learn from someone thats been in it. GOOD THIS SITE GETS BETTER BY THE DAY!!

15. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

jeeze guys I guess you didnt read the post that i am in need of help on bidding larger properties... not all of them! i have no idea why people come on here to bash the guys that are looking for advise. and as far as pricing.... you are right in that i am unaware of the time it takes to plow larger areas, thats why im asking about them! i know what it costs to buy salt, fuel, equiptment..... guess you have to make youself feel high and mighty by hating on people on the internet. get a life. if you dont have anything helpful to say then just keep it to yourself!

16. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

Couldn't agree more! Atleast do your homework before asking a repitive question. There is plenty of information on here that you should be able to figure it out. I'm not bashing just do your homework.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  17. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I tell everyone to start out plowing driveways. There are so many of them that if you land 20 in a season, and you suck...and lose them all, Get 20 different ones next year. People notice inexperience...These apartment complexes look like great accounts, I'd just hate to see you burn that bridge. If you mess it up now, they'll remember it forever.

18. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

let me clarify a few things. this is my first year plowing with a truck. i have been doing driveways for a few years now with either an atv or snowblower and now want to be able to service all of my accounts which include these apartments. as i keep saying its just the size that im having trouble bidding on.

19. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

It might come off as bashing you bud but your the one that keeps putting it out there that you nhave never used a plow on a truck before RIGHT!! an have never plow a commercial lot before RIGHT? go to work for someone learn how and why your are plowing things a certain way, how much and what reasons you are apply melting products, LEARN first thats all I am saying. SORRY if you don't like my advice but you are about the 30th person new on here that s has came out and said ." I new to commercial plowing I have no equipment or I have just bought my first plow please help!! " go work for someone is all I am saying it's good advice.