1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New and need recommendations....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rodneyamolt, Oct 2, 2007.

1. rodneyamolt

rodneyamolt Junior Member

Hi i'm new to the snow plowing industry, actually i have yet to start but i just started a lawn business and i want to continue my business into the winter with snow plowing and i'm kind of on a tight budget and i need some ideas for a good cheaper plow :) i know it kind of sounds being cheap but i was thinking about the superplow from superplow.com you can hook it up to the hitch i believe and plow that way. I'm trying to focus my business on more residential areas and driveways. What would you guys suggest.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What model of truck do you have?

next, I would go with a traditional plow, one that mounts to the front.
  3. rodneyamolt

I have...

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
  4. rodneyamolt

just out of curiousity

why would you suggest a traditional plow... the superplow looks like it would be pretty easy to move around the snow in driveways.. with a regular plow i would push it up towards thier garages and it would be more difficult to get it off of it?
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

How would you stack the snow?

Now you have pulled the snow to the end of the drive now what?
    Where do you put the snow and how?
    What if you get a blizzard and have to plow your way to your accounts?

With a traditional plow you would pull up to the garage and back drag the snow away from the garage door.

For residential drives a back plow is a good idea but you will still need a plow mounted to the front.

There are many plows that will fit your truck.
    You will find that you can get a boss, sno-way, fisher, meyer used and in good condition.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  6. rodneyamolt

alright.. thanks for the advice..
  7. bbahun

bbahun Junior Member
    from OHIO

I would also check into just subing the work out to a reliable guy with a plow. Do some research and see if you can find someone that would like to make some extra money to plow a few accounts for you. Sometimes you can find someone that has bought a new plow for their home or business and would like to make some extra money to pay for it. I would suggest this for your first year. This will also give you a chance to look for a good used plow and or truck. You could still clean the walks yourself and spread salt, and would be there to make sure the plowing got done right.Even if you only are able to tack on $10-$20(or more) per account you don't have the risk of not having the right equipment to do the job right or the investment if we don't get that much snow. Just my 2cents
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The first rule in plowing snow is the same as in Lawn Care - you get what you pay for. There is no such thing as "good cheaper" in a plow. If you're going to do any more than your own driveway, you will need a hydraulic front plow; not something hooked to the rear bumper or hitch of your car/truck. Even a professional rear-plow is meant to COMPLEMENT the front plow, not replace it.

Would you recommend I start a lawn care business by buying this push reel mower I can buy for $79.99?
  9. jbone

jbone Senior Member

cheap now will be expensive later
  10. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Give me a call. I am fairly close and have a plow for sale that will fit your truck.
  11. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

with that said about which plow to get, how about the term per push what does that mean .. is it each time your drop and plow and push a blade full????
  12. TEX

TEX Senior Member

per push vs seasonal contract

per push is every time you go and clear the drive or open it up you charge. it its a big storm and you have to go 3 times you charge for 3 times.
  13. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification Tex. I'm such a Noob, but then again a stupid question is one u dont ask