1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New and looking for info

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by phil57, Feb 5, 2013.

1. phil57

phil57 Junior Member
    from W MI

Ok I have never plowed a driveway in my life except for when I was a kid and I used the BN tractor. I am retired at 55 with a bad neck and back so I am not looking to make a second carrier. I am going to look at a new Chevy 1500 reg cab z71 with the 5.3 and it has a snow plow prep on it. My question is this if i wanted to put a plow on what size would it take and what do they cost. I don't want to compete with the pros out there and I wouldn't be able to do much with this neck issue. How much stress would it put on the neck. I have had three major surgeries on the neck so I don't want to mess it up more.
    I know this sounds stupid but any advice would be helpful. I would plow like 4 or 5 drives including mine. I don't plan on making a lot of money on this but a little extra wouldn't hurt.
    I'm going to buy the truck anyway because I need a truck and it is a steal. They are giving huge rebates on Chevy trucks this month,
  2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

ive heard very good things about these http://www.snowdoggplows.com/snowdoggHDEX.html
    light and strong and look cool and they are cheap
    as for you neck you can use your mirrors as much as you can and you may want to buy a backup buddy so you can see better in reverse while using the mirrors
  3. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Sounds like what I was trying to do.. Less the neck issue..

A few driveways and just tired of wrestling with a large snow blower...
    Went with a Snowdogg MD75 and for what you want to do you really don't need anything more. Lightweight reasonable cost and with a back drag blade, it cleans driveways well.
    I'm on year three with zero issues. The only downside is it is a manual effort to mount the plow. I have it down now but it took a bit of trail and error. The key is to absolutely make sure the plow is in FLOAT mode, with the truck still running depress the lift cylinder put as much play in the lift chain as possible. Then go turn off the truck, set the lift and disconnect. If you do not remove the tension on the chain it is a PITA. As bad as it sounds it's actually really easy now, easier than the old blower and 5 minutes tops..

If you want the powered mount's I'd lean towards the Western HTS. Expect to pay 25% more but you are buying towards
    the end of the season..

4. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

the snowdoggs i dealt with are by no means hard to mount but in your situation i would recommend boss, they offer power attaching plows that would be to your advantage, they make good plows and dealers are pretty easy to come by (around here at least) use the mirrors often and you may also consider installing a good backup camera and some good rearward lighting. may have to do some engineering to keep snow off the camera.
  5. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Here's one thing to think about. Do you think that 5 driveways is going to cover your insurance costs?