1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New and looking for clients

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by EPS, Sep 18, 2007.

1. EPS

EPS Member

What is the best way to get clients? I ran an add in local newspapers service directory, I have got one call so far. When do people really start looking for snowplowing I want my phone to ring. I'm getting a bit depressed!

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Post flyers in the grocery stores and any public places you can. Word of moutn is the best and cheapest. You will get most calls right after you get a big snowfall tho.

3. EPS

EPS Member

Ok I sure hope so I am counting on it. Or I have to go find another factory job and I really dont want that!

4. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

Is this you?
    (315) 436-6902 is a cell phone based in Syracuse, NY

5. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

Sorry, I did not see your reply

As Someone already stated - you'll get flooded with calls after the first snow.
    $100 + a pop for advertising is a risk - but you gotta start somewhere.
    I will be targeting the Camillus area, my cousin is already established, and I do not know anyone in your area - I will be glad to send referalls (where speciffically)

6. EPS

EPS Member

CNY plow email me at extremepropertyservices@yahoo.com we can exchange info. Im in cicero area. I ran add in pennysaver only because flyers I been putting in paper boxes are bringing No RESULTS! GRRR I already have a lead for ya in your area!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  7. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

PennySaver Sucks

The Pennysaver sucks the only calls you get are are people too lazy to shovel there driveway and too cheap to pay for someone to do it right. The best luck I have had find an area that you like and send a mass mailing. Try that area on rte 31 where all the new homes are going up. Hope that helps

Big Earl

8. EPS

EPS Member

How Do you do mass mailing and what is it?

9. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

EPS

Take and get a postcard made go to the area you like and write down the street names, Then go to www.whitepages.com go an address look up put the street name in the hand write the names on the post card. I know it sounds like a lot of work but that how you become a household name. On the post card put a before 9-20-07 $ and after price to make it look like they are getting a deal. Remember 15-20 drives in one area at less money is better than 30 all over the place. Thats how I see it.

Big Earl

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try leaving your name and number with your local plow dealer. We get constant calls for snow removal that we pass on to customers. We ask them (snowplow customers) what sort of work (driveways, roadway, commercial lots) they do and in what area, and whether they want referrals. When someone calls the woman will try to give them the names and numbers of two or three people in their area who do the type work requested. Good for me, good for my customer, good for the caller, it's a win,win, win situation.
    Right now I have a 50 home, zero tolerance neighborhood looking for a QUALITY contractor it's a tough location and they're a demanding customer, 750K neighborhood, so it's a high dollar site. It's one I would do myself if our run sheets weren't already full.

Nobody reading the yellow pages seems to differentiate between snow removal and snow removal equipment. Plus everybody knows we know the plow guys. Granted the majority of calls come after the first snow but if you get a customer once and do a good job for a fair (not cheap, fair) price you will get them again.

11. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

penny saver

I'm skeptical about the Pennysaver, at least here in Camillus.
    In the past two years I've seen only about 8 in my mail box - I don't know how distribution is elsewhere.
    The Syracuse paper has a much better distribution; adds are $102 for the paper and on-line at Syracuse.com for 42 days. I put my targe area in the add.
    People aren't thinking about snow right now.
    Almanac predicts early snow - mid Oct. We know it doesn't usually stick (ground too warm) but it wakes em all up.
    Like Earl says, post cards. You can buy mailing lists or create you own (Earl, I cut & paste)
    The USPS has postcard making & distribution availiable on their web-site big $$$.

12. EPS

EPS Member

Thanks to all of you for the ideas. I think I will try the postcard mailing. CNY PLOW email me I got a client looking for plow service in your area!

13. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

posters

I do not expect a good response from posters w/tear-offs but I'd put them out anyhow.
    There are fewer & fewer places that will allow this - I'd hang them out side and hope they get public viewing before they're removed.
    too much advertising and you'll need more & more eqipment and people - not a bad thing, how fast can you grow.

check e-mail

14. EPS

EPS Member

Well as this is my first year I would like to handle maybe around 40-50 accounts. Do you think this is possible for first year?

15. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

How about Door Hangers on Doors for residential. Good Idea Or Bad.
    Thanks
    Brian Porter
    Reliable Snow Removal

16. EPS

EPS Member

Door Hangers

I thought about door hangers but its pretty much the same as flyers in paper boxes but alot more walking. Dropped off my first proposal today woo hoo!!

17. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

there are a lot of variables.You have to go with the flow.
    If you have many accounts less than a minute apart,or next door to one another, or do you have to travel 5 or 10 minutes.
    Urban or rural, in either case you need to know the roads and what to expect. Route planning. If you have to go from one side of the swamp to the other you have a lot of travel time. There at least 6 zip codes in the town of Cicero - large area.
    40 should not be a problem, 50 is pushing the limit in Cicero, unless they're grouped.

18. EPS

EPS Member

I just hope I can even get 40 people to call for an estimate at this point. Lots of snowplowers in this area.

19. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Flyers in the paper box needs to be done on Sunday morning. People get the sunday paper and have time to read it. Give it to them Monday and they are pissed off from work when they get home and don't have the time.

Post cards can be bought at office supply store in a printable sheet. Use the encluded software and make up something w/ business name on it. Cut and past address from whatever list you want. You can buy a neigborhood of address on CD or us internet. Take to USPO, have them stamp them for a cheapier rate than a letter.

If you use the paper. Go for the business card size ad. Company name, phone, insured, rates starting at $?? (will keep the cheap ones away). People looking at the classifieds, for the most part, want it done cheap and don't care about quality. The larger ad makes you look more professional.

Put your name on your truck (required in most areas) and drive around the neighborhoods. Drive it everywhere.

20. EPS

EPS Member

I have my bussiness name on the side of my truck and do drive it everywhere. I also delivered some flyers late Sat. Night like you said to do. I guess its just wait and see now.
    I know it was said before put flyers up in grocery stores and things, but what about laundry mats and things of that sort?