1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New and improved vee box wiring

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Alan, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I got one project completed yesterday. The "Jersey Devil" (K3500 that I bought in NJ last spring) will be carrying our Sno-Way vee box. Since that truck will not have to be a daily driver I can leave the box mounted all the time. That makes it a perfect candidate to have permanent wiring into the cab rather than running the control lead through the sliding window.

I added a control box to the side of the instrument cluster and ran leads to the back of the truck, inside the frame. Those wires terminate in the truck half of a Sno-Way plow plug which has two heavy leads for battery current as well as six control wires. The battery leads are being used to run charge current to the spreader battery. I am leaving the battery in the spreader so that if need be we can still use the spreader in our K2500 as well.

A #6 cable is installed from the truck battery to the plow plug, with a continuous duty solenoid which closes whenever the spreader key is in the "on" position. That way the battery lead is dead except when you are using the spreader. I've found that the spreader engine has to be run so slow that it will barely keep up battery charge. Now that problem will be history.

The spreader harness was fitted with the plow half of the Sno-Way plug. Those two pieces make a weatherproof connection, with the plow half permanently mounted in the upper rear corner of the inner bed panel.

The batttery was low on charge when I first hooked up the leads. Maybe two minutes of charging off the truck had that corrected and the engine fired right up. I hooked up the leads and everythign worked on the first try. Spreader chain was a bit sticky and took a little help to free up but after that all went well.

Everything works except the feed door, which got bent last winter and was about impossible to adjust then. That is a piece of pure genius design, it is impossible to acccess the door and where it slides without removing the engine and some related sheet metal. Next project is to get at that door and make something that works reliably. Since we run both salt and some sand mix I need to be able to adjust the door. Plan is to get some sort of threaded adjuster in there rather than the (bendable) lever that is on there now. Carrying a box ratchet in the truck is pretty easy if it means being able to adjust material flow reliably

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I like the battery cable from the truck. Never have a dead spreader battery.

As for the control wires I mount them all with a plug and all are wired the same. I like to know that I could switch the spreaders around if needed. If one truck goes down I can make sure my largest spreader is mounted on a truck.

The only exception is the electric v-box on my Toyota. Only two wires on that one.