1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New, And a Couple of Questions!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Stuffdeer, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Hello all!

I am very new to this site. I have been browsing around lately, but decided to join! Right now, I am plowing with a 5 foot plow on a 2004 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 atv. Keep in mind, I'm only doing 5 commercials and 7 residentials.

As we speak, I am saving money for a 2005 Ford Ranger, I relly don't know, If I want the Fx4 Offroad, But I think I'm going to get one like that. But I really would like to get a Sno-way plow for it, So I can tow the Eiger on a trailer, Do the Comm. with the Ranger, and Residentials with the ATV.

So my question is, Should I know anything, about throwing a Sno-way on a ranger. I'm not planning on gettting that big.

I'm only 15, but have about 4 jobs.

Thanks Everyone!
    Mike :)

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, Stuffdeer, first - Welcome to Plowsite and I'd commend you on your industriousness.

Overall, I'd recommend that whatever you decide to do, only use one vehicle to do it all until you need a second to handle the number of accounts rather than the types of accounts. In other words, keep doing what you're doing since it works for you until you get the Ranger. If you decide to plow with it, plow all the accounts with it. Towing a second vehicle around is not only dangerous, but just a simple PIA. By the time you get it unloaded, started, plow, reloaded back in the truck, you could have just plowed it. Now by the time you get large commercial accounts, you will have "outgrown" the Ranger as a plow vehicle, anyway.

Actually, if I were you, I wouldn't plow with a new Ranger. They weren't made to handle it. Get an older 3/4 ton (F250 or 2500). I don't know about your area, but around here, there are old 3/4 ton trucks with plows in the paper all the time for under $1,000. You could buy several of those for the price of a Ranger and Snoway. You can still do most residential-sized places if you plan it. I plow driveways with a one ton and just wouldn't take anything that's too small for it.

(For anyone else - notice that I didn't even mention insurance. There's a reason for that.)

3. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Thanks Mick, I appreciate your opinion, But, around here, you cannot find a older truck for under 4. The only reason I'm getting a Ranger, Is I'm looking at other things, other than just plowing. I'm going to be using this truck to commute from College and home. Then lets put it this way, Would a Ranger, be capable of pushing a Sno-way plow?

4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

check the Snow Way website, im sure you can put one on a ranger. question is ... why would you wan't to ?
    you will tear your truck apart doing commercial work with a ranger. driveway's you would be ok . hell i would even say get a jeep over a ranger for driveway's.
    comercial work is tough on a truck though ! a ranger may be able to do the job OK , but for how long ? save up for a bigger truck. you will spend more on the truck and a hell of alot less on repairs!

5. Mick

from Maine

6. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

:waving: Ok, Mick,

Personally, what truck do you use to plow? Right now I'm deciding on two trucks. I've kicked the ranger out the door. I can get a newer than 2000 for less than a brand new ranger. And!, Insurance wouldn' be as much, being it a used truck. Ok, So my two choices are, a 2000-2004 Ford F-250 Super cab 8ft bed, with either a V-10 or a Powerstroke Diesel, or a 2000-2004 Chevy Silveraldo Regular cab. I'm not Sure on what the enigines are on the Chevys, I've only researched the fords.

Thanks, Mike

7. Mick

from Maine

I used a 1/2 ton Dodge with a 7.5' Fisher plow for a few years. Now I use a one ton Chevy with 6.5 turbo diesel and 9' Fisher plow (see the "Vehicles/Equipment" in my Profile - hint: click on my name). It has a flatbed for a two yard Fisher Pro Caster sander. But, before you run out and buy a truck, decide what type accounts you'll get. Mine wouldn't probably be the best choice for those little city driveways. My typical driveway is 15-20' wide and 50 - 100' long and I'm in a very rural area.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  8. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Even if I do get a big truck, I plan on carring the four wheeler around, AFTER I do the commercial lots, to do residential. I know, A super cab with an 8ft bed is to big to do a normal city drveway!