1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Alternator?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i have an '08 6.4 PowerStroke and found the alternator smoking today, battery light inside the cab has been on for about a day or so as well...i do know that it has the snow plow package so it has the heavy duty alternator, i believe it's 200 amps...nobody seems to have any in stock, where would you guys suggest buying one and which one, should i stick with the 200 or is there a better one out there?
  2. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

Assuming that it's out of warranty, I would just go to your local NAPA. And if no one has one in stock, most rebuilders, around here at least, have a one day turn around time.
  3. How many miles. If under 100k go to ford and make them put a new one on. If older take it out and bring it to a shop and have them build it for you. Where are you at
  4. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i'm in lawrence, KS...112,000 miles
  5. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I thinks its 140 amp not 200 amp most auto parts store will have one. try advanced auto or auto zone in my area stock them. pricey part $290
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  6. 1rubbertrack

1rubbertrack Junior Member

yes its a 200 amp, go to ford and generally have it next day if not in stock, dont waste ur time on the junk stores.
  7. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Napa or dealer, everything else is junk. Batteries might be toast as well
  8. durallymax

durallymax Senior Member

$270@Napa for 200amp
  9. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

For the last few years I've had nothing but trouble with NAPA starters and alternators. I've been going to a local electrical rebuilder with good results.