1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New alternator install help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mulcahy mowing, Jan 8, 2008.

1. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I have a problem with my blizzard plow draining all the power out of my truck's electrical system. I want to install this alternator that fits my truck http://www.pa-performance.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=191
    it says all I have to do is change the wire to #4 gauge wire. It says the main power wire has to be changed. what does it mean by this the main line to the batteries correct? is this all that needs to be done? who has done this before I was confident I could do this until I started reading around about it and others problems. is it that hard to do?

2. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

sure it's the alternator? When was the last time you changed your battery? What's the CCA on your battery? How many batteries do you have?
    i have changed a couple alternators this year. I might be able to help.

3. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

I always check the easy stuff first. You may too but you gave very little background so my apologies if you've already checked this- One thing that seems to happen fairly often is when plows are installed, they gang the plow power wires to the existing connections at the battery. This can allow corrosion to set in, especially for side terminal batteries where the boots don't fit over the connection anymore. A bad battery connection can cause symptoms similiar to a failed or inadequate charging system. Check those connections by cleaning, inspecting and reinstalling.

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

They want you to change the charge wire to a larger size. You dont have to change, you can just add the new #4 cable from charge post on alt to positive on battery. very common fix. Reason for this is factory alt charge wire will not allow 200 amp flow of power.

5. and while you are at it,..
    add a #4 ground for the same reason.
    tc