1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new airflo control box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by biltritecon, Nov 24, 2004.

1. biltritecon

biltritecon Junior Member

i am installing a new airflo vbox in my truck. Just wondering if anyone out there has one and can tell me what the red 12v pigtail that hooks up to your truck wiring is for, coming off the control box, if the unit has its own battery and is self contained.

2. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

the red pigtail is fued and needs to go to a power source for turn on of the box so it will work.I run mine into the fuse box.u can get a small clip that piggy backs a fuse on the hot side(power when truck is off)and connect it with a female spade clip.Also make sure u ground the white wire off the box very well.Mine has given me trouble since new and its mostly due to the wiring.Also make sure u put some dielectric grease on the plugs that connect the box to the spreader wiring,the internal pins are so small and thin they lose contact quikly.

3. dubster23

dubster23 Junior Member

The reason the power and ground are there is because everything except initial starting of unit is powered by connections to truck. All the battery does is provide start-up power. Box power controls electric clutch, throttle, etc. Supposedly this was done to simplify wiring and to stop overdraw on the larger battery it used to have b/c motor wasn't able to fully charge it. To add to last post some guys also just hook wires to cigarette lighter plug and use that outlet. Hope this helps!