1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New addition to the truck.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Mark13, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My not so nice bed.

[​IMG]

Hmm...

[​IMG]

What's this??
    [​IMG]

Frame decoration?
    [​IMG]

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

There we go.

[​IMG]

Test fit, exactly what I was expecting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I knew searching craigslist was a bad idea. :D
    Now I just need an adapter to set the ball back a few inches for livestock/horse trailers.

3. z400

z400 Member

Saw one of those adapters on the way home today, slides into the receiver on the trailer, had about a 8 inch extension pointing forward on it.

I'll be going the same route as soon as i drop the cash on a 50-53 footer

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Looks good. Nice work.

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good... but are you nuts! That's a 1/2 ton and that is a really large trailer

6. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

Hope your trailer brakes and controller work.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, I know it's a 1/2ton. That has a really hard life. As far as I know my brake controller works.

And that trailer isn't mine, it was just the closest one to do a test fit on.

8. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

So what are you going to be pulling with it?

9. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

nice to see you chose a B & W

10. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Like ny 1/4 ton. That pulls things that 1/2 tons struggle with. wesport

Very nice sir :drinkup:

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Mostly moving empty trailers between/around farms, horse trailers with 1 or 2 pasture maggots in them, or whatever else I can find that's under 9k or so. Alot of the towing will be on back roads between farms or "offroad" hauling round bales.

If I'm out on main roads where there is more in danger besides the squirrels and chipmunks I'll keep the weight down and at a reasonable level.

12. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

Nice looking older-style B&W! that ball looks brand new too! i sure do love my B&W, good choice!

13. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I would remove that toolbox why when you go on slope then trailer would smash toolbox.

Look great how much that hitch set cost you?

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Only the best. I wouldn't spend my money on a different company. My next truck will also be getting a B&W.

My 1/2ton gets treated like a 1ton most of the time. I really should have gotten a 1ton but when I bought the truck I never would have imagined what I'm doing with it now.

When I got the truck I planned to drive it around and pull my atv, nothing more. :laughing:

The ball was never used. The 1500 miles the previous owner used the hitch he had the Companion 5'er adapter.

I've got about $215 in it.

As for the toolbox it's staying, its over 600lbs and is bolted down in 4 places. I'm going to get an adapter that goes in the hole and sets the ball back another 4" or so (give me about 6" between the hitch and box). And I'm going to get rid of the backrack extensions under the toolbox to drop it 2". And just notch the corners of the toolbox to clear the wheel wells.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  15. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Haha I know that feeling. I got lucky cuz I got the truck for free. I figured 'ah fourwheeler maybe the boat' next thing I know I'm pulling the boat 350 miles and then dragging cars around. I must say the dakota has surprised me.

Maybe I should put a ball in the bed... hmm...

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Mine went from pulling the atv to pulling hay wagons, farm equipment, skid loaders, small tractors, etc. The most it's seen is about 9500lbs behind it a few dozen times and over 4k in the bed and then my to large of a plow out front all winter plowing commercial lots. And might get a smaller v box also. I'm getting my money's worth. :D

17. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

$215 that pretty expensive for used one.

How much they go for new? Our 5 wheel hitch on F250 cost nearby $500.

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

They are $400-450 new.

This one is about 9 months old and was only in the truck for 1 trip (about 1500 miles). So it's as close to new as I could probably get while still being used.

I could get another brand used for less probably but I wanted a B&W if I was going to put on in this truck. I wasn't looking for one really but if I found one I was probably going to buy it if the price was right.

19. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

that truck would handle a 30 foot goose with about 35 225-265 lb hogs with a little struggle we have a similar truck only 2wd that we moved pigs on our farm with just might wanna do something about that tool box though

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, I've got a few ideas for what to do about the toolbox. If I have to use the gooseneck right now I'll just take it out.

And as far as the weight of a trailer I know it's not a diesel one ton but it'll do just fine. If I really need to haul something heavy I've got access to a couple of different 3/4-1ton diesels that all have goosenecks.