1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Accounts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pert Snow, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Pert Snow

Pert Snow Member

How do i begin to submit an estimate to a commercial property? How will i know if they need snow removal services if they donnt have 1? Who do i speak to about getting them? If u guys can list the steps that would b great. Thanks
  2. AHammen

AHammen Member

I am by no means a big contractor but have focused on only taking commercial accounts. I started out by getting a lead from a co-workers husband. I feel it is neccessary to meet the person who would make the decision (manager/owner) face to face. So I started with one account and went from there.
    If you see a property that looks like something you could manage just go in the door and introduce yourself and tell them what you do, worst case is they tell you they have so and so do it or they do it themselves and are not interested. Leave a business card and go on your way.
    What I have found to work well is just get out and meet people and tell them what you do. Contractors, painters, landscape companys (that don't do snow removal), plumbers, anybody you can think of. What can happen in doing this is down the road a property owner mentions to lets say a painter in conversation that they need someone to do snow removal, now that painter can so "oh I met this guy give him a call." I always have business cards on me and give them to whoever I meet, I've been doing this for a couple years now and at the point now where people are calling me because they got my number through word of mouth. Unfortunately I have to turn the work down but at least I know it works.
    One thing I would say is that as a business owner NEVER be a jerk to anyone, you never know if you will run into them in the future and they are the one who makes the decision on which contractor to use.
    Another option is to talk to the owner of property management companys, I met one a few years ago when I was looking for a new shop. I rent my shop from him now so I get all his work.
    Well I hope some of this can help you out (sorry it was so long guess I got carried away).
    Good Luck.
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I also like to get"face time" with the decision maker, sometimes that's really tough. Seems the people who sign the checks or manage the properties insulate themselves from potential vendors very well. If you want a contract and can't cold call your way in the door you can try to mail a letter of introduction, in the letter, offer to meet and discuss their needs, not what you want to sell them, site your expierience, offer a list of references, offer a COI, and any trade affiliations you may have. Be able to follow through on everything you tell them, always underpromise and over deliver !!!! Don't be pushy in the sales process and remember to listen to what they have to say, they may have a specific scope of work for the property that could greatly effect your pricing or possibly even your desire to take on the work and the liability that goes with it............And like Hammen said always always carry business cards, opputunities present themselves at the strangest times, even if you are are a total slob in your everyday life look like a respectable business person when you do get a meeting, I've been at group contractor meetings when bidding large sites for snow or landscaping, you can see who gets paid attention to, and it's not ussually the guy in a cut off tee shirt or ratty sweatshirt and torn jeans with stains from the mornings breakfast sandwich and coffee. Obviosly the guy looking like that could be the greatest plower or scaper in the world but being a world of perception and appearance it's good to look the part.

And unless you're using for ballast throw out the 2 stage snowblower.........LOL