1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New A-Frame needed . . .

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by KC9MDQ, Mar 5, 2011.

1. KC9MDQ

KC9MDQ Member

I have an ancient Uni-Mount ( I think ) on a 95' 3/4 ton Dodge . I think it's a Uni-Mount that's the closest thing I could find on their site that looks like it. One of the previous owners installed the plow , and WELDED the frame and pump assembly into the frame of the truck , and reinforced the front truck frame with box steel . Anyhow , the A frame that the moldboard and cylinders attach to is foo-ked . The plow came with NO documentation , so I don't even know what I need to order . The front plate is buckled , and last season I welded some plate steel into the A-frame because there were some cracks. Basically I think the thing is just toast. I'm wondering what a decent used A-frame would cost ? I will post up some pics of the whole shebang tomorrow . I simply cannot purchase a new plow setup , as I pretty much only plow for a few bucks on the side and for "fun" ; we bought the truck for the truck and the plow just happened to be attached to it. I don't make enough money plowing to justify purchasing new equipment . If it is not cost effective to get a used A-frame ( if the terminology is right , here ) I will simply cut it up and weld it into a REALLY naughty push bumper . Any thoughts ?:mechanic:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I know a new one is about 450 dollars. I have my friends old one that needs a little fixing. The pivot bolt tore through the a frame I have been keeping it in my shop for quite a while. If you are interested let me know I live in Hammond WI. You can take it as is or I can fix it for you. I weld fro a living and have wanted to fix it to sell it but haven't made the time to.

3. KC9MDQ

KC9MDQ Member

That might be worth looking into Tony. I live in Marshfield and will google up Hammond to see what kind of a trip it would be. Does it have the hydraulic rams attached to it , or just the bare A-frame ?

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

just the bare aframe

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

How many "trip springs" do you have on the plow?

Is it "electrical" or cable?

Here is a poster you can look at to see what kind of plow you have..It shows the "A" frame and the "quadrant" .

Poster
    ptposter.jpg

Here is the link to the part poster
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/64451.06_091509_for_Web.pdf

Here is the link to the hydraulic poster

http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/64681.06_091509_for_Web.pdf

Take a look at them..Download then to your computer so you will have them on hand

ptposter.jpg

6. KC9MDQ

KC9MDQ Member

On the Blackberry right now , but I will look up the schematics when I get home . I CAN tell you that it has two trip springs, an electrically powered hydraulic pump for the hoist and hydraulic pivot for the tilt. Motion is controlled by a 4-way joystick in a cross pattern. Does that shed any light on the subject ? For what it's worth , I suspect the plow is around a 1995 , that's what year the truck is anyhow , and with the condition that the A-frame and moldboard are in , I would guess that they're about the same age as the truck. Like I said , I will post pics when I get home. Thanks for the help so far.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  7. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

A used A-frame would be the last thing I would ever buy, only reason anyone takes a A-frame off is when its bent.

8. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Sorry smillerhd but that isn't the only reason someone takes it off! My friend broke the center pivot area out on the a-frame in the middle of the storm. I owned he plow for two years, and before that my uncle owned it for about 7 years, he didn't plow comercially. Ys it could have been welded but being that I plow also and he doesn't weld we had a problem.

He didn't want to run my truck (didn't fell comfortable it was brand new at he time) so I had to finish both of our routes. Being as we were to get more snow in the next day he started tearing it apart and bought a new one. Much quicker this way, I am sure you understand when you are tired and short on time money isn't woth as much as time.

I guess what I am saying is you don't know everything and there are exceptions to everyones rules including yours. Besides if you read his post he doesn't do enough plowing to justify buying a new mount. I would agree having a bent mount wouldn't be great but it isn't for a V plow. The worst thing would be the cutting edge would wear uneven, once it gets bad flip it end for end and wear it back straight.

Hope I didn't offend you but I wanted to let you know why I have an extra aframe, why would I keep it if it was junk?

9. KC9MDQ

KC9MDQ Member

Twinman , I derped on taking the pics , but after looking at the spec sheets I have a Western UniMount Standard , the only thing that doesn't look right is the pump , but that may be because it is an exploded view . Smiller , you haven't seen my A-Frame yet , bent is not the word !:drinkup:

10. KC9MDQ

KC9MDQ Member

Well , here's the plow pictures as promised . . . . I hindsight , I suppose the quadrant is just as screwed as the A-frame . In my defense , it pretty much looked like this when we bought the truck, but I think what made it all so much worse was when we hit a deer at 60 MPH withe the plow and it cut the deer in half , thank God I had that plow on the truck , otherwise it would've been my @$$ ! ! ! !

100_0794.jpg

100_0789.jpg

100_0790.jpg

100_0793.jpg

11. KC9MDQ

KC9MDQ Member

OK , so I was able to speak with the previous owner of the truck ; apparantly it is NOT a unimount , but the previous "hard mount" type of assembly. Turns out the pump frame was for a different kind of truck , hence why it was boxed and welded into the front of the truck frame . Does anyone know what these pre-Unimount models were called , model name , etc?

12. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

A Picture of it would help, but Im guessing you are using a Conventional

13. KC9MDQ

KC9MDQ Member

A picture of the pump and frame ? For what it's worth , I unbolted the pivot pin , readjusted everything , got the quadrant back into the C-collar on the A-frame , and then pinned THAT , removed the faulty hydraulic ram . . . . . so basically right now I've got a straight push blade , but it worked well enough to do three driveways last night ! :mechanic: Now I just need to adjust the trip springs properly and it should last the rest of this season . Will post pics after work today .

14. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

You don't have cable unit??

You have a conventional plow and a hydraulic unit

convplow.jpg

hydunit.jpg

You can have the "A" frame and the quadrant look at by a welder and if he good, he can repair both frames for you.. Instead of you going out and trying to find both parts..It would be cheaper..

Trip springs are easy to adjust..count down to the third ring in the spring..Using a single piece of paper slide the paper into the third ring..If it doesn't slide in, tighten the "eye" bolt until the piece of paper slides in..Do the same to the other trip spring..

Here is the manual (this link should work)
    http://library.westernplows.com/doc...evel=1&filename=13523_080092.pdf&doctype=.pdf

convplow.jpg

hydunit.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  15. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

your running western conventional standard plow you dont need a frame you need quadrant new 1 is 300.00 or so i seen 1 on ebay and 1 on columbus ohio craigs list you can find 1 just look around that plow was mad in 80 s...i been running 1 just like it for years great plows... man them driveways must be rought to do that to plow

16. KC9MDQ

KC9MDQ Member

Well , like I mentioned , it wsn't in the greatest shape when I got it , and I was a "plow virgin" ; pretty much everything I've learned of technique was by just DOING it , and by some careful study of a local commercial outfit . All technical stuff was learned by tearing it apart and putting back together an and here. I cannot stress enough how great everyone on plowsite has been for sharing information , we have a great bunch of people here.

17. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I will agree with you about plowsite, what a better way to get advice and information!

18. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

their is 1 on columbus ohio craigslist.org for 175.00 it looks like new old stock but i would say to look around they made 2 conventional plows 1 has 3 springs 2 on the sides are angeled out thats pre 80 model and the 2 spring is after 80 i think the quadrants are a little different but not 100 percent sure hope this helps