1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new 8611 mount hangs way too low

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by snowman55, Nov 30, 2010.

1. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

anyone have one on a chevy? the new mount style uses the western truck side but the plow is 4" lower!! I have 3" of clearance.I tried new torsion keys and air shocks not near enough. junk plow design. any one else with this experience? I can only come up with 2 solutions. 1 a 4" lift kit--yuk. 2 custom build my own mount. looks like I'll fire up the welder and show blizzard how to fit a plow to a truck.
  2. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

8611 fullsize uses old power hitch mount what plow do u have??????? and what adapters are on the mount short or tall and they can be eliminated with a little help
  3. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

Put one on a 2011 f350 no problems with clearance.
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

There is a definate difference compared to the older style. It may not be an "issue" in everones eyes, but if you've had the older style you'd see what he means. My buddie just put one on his Dodge to try it out and is going to probably get some 4500 springs for it. It's not a big deal, but is a bit low for my liking. Hit some big bumps in the road and I could see it being too close for comfort.
  5. MrBillsLawn

MrBillsLawn Member

If you don't have enough clearance but your suspension is fine then add a 1/2" plate to the top of the lift arm where is hits the bottom of your truck mount. This 1/2" addition should give you an extra 6" of lift on the mold board. It will also help avoid wearing holes in your mount where the arm hits.

If your trucks squats when you pick up the blade, then you have suspension issues. You can block the front of your truck, so it will not move when you lift the blade to see how much lift you really do have.
  6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I like the idea, but wouldn't that just make the hook hang that much lower when mounted? Mounted is the problem.
  7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

More like junk truck design.
  8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

That was dumb
  9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Not really. When the same plow fits two other brands just fine except for one with a "SPECTACULAR" IFS what might you think the problem is. My sig does not lie.
  10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Haha I have all 3 brands and have had Blizzards on all. The new Blizzards changed the mounting system, which is what the OP's concern was. Same thing on my buddies 99 Dodge with a new 8611. Infact, I plowed with it yesterday for a couple hours. That being said, my F350 has bigger springs up front and doesn't squat much at all. It doesn't have nearly enough ground clearance IMO. It won't push over high curbs. Something my GM with an MVP has no problems doing.
  11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Its not the design of the truck or suspension as far as the OP is concerned. Its the plow/mound design. You'd see what I mean if you had one.
  12. ctbman

ctbman Member

Thats because Ford make a real truck. 2000 350sd
  13. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Is it on a 3500? If so the 8611 is way to heavy for the front end. We have the pre DD 810s and they sag a bit. I was thinking about putting a new 810 on a 2500 HD. Any suggestions?
  14. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

What truck is it on? Any pics?
  15. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I am assuming this is a 86110lp. Is that correct? And yes, the mount does seem to sit a bit lower now that it is the Western style compared to the original Blizzard.
  16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

In my case, yes. Being they now hang on a conversion kit, it brings it down all that much compared to before. And in my opinion they were too low before.
  17. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

You guys blaming GM have no idea what you're talking about. I have a GM with a fisher mount and have more than ample ground clearance. It's an XV not an 8611 but still. The original complaint is the new blizzard mount is too low.
  18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Amen to that^^^