1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NEW 8'2" VXT on Chevy HD2500

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mr. Mud, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Well here's what I've got. Chevy HD 2500, brand new VXT steel plow, install myself.
    Plow came on pallet, putting all componets together in order, while reading directions!
    Used buddies '03 truck and my hand held controller to move plow out of shop to continue install on truck, plow worked beautifully, got fluid levels topped off and adjusted headlights.
    Finished plow frame install and electrical install on my truck, went to hook up plow and every time we'd use the button on the smart hitch it blows the red/white wire fuse. Can hook up plow manually, all controls in cab controller work and function properly includung head lights. Removed ALL conections we had made, cleaned, checked for dielectric grease, rehooked, same outcome. It almost sounds like the pump starts to run in reverse when smart hitch is used, before the fuse blows. a couple of times, fuse blew as soon as switch was touched. Tried moving red/white fused wire to negative side but nothing would work then. At a total loss, even my mechanic buddy is scratch9ing his head. EVERY suggestion will be taken seriously as we are completely stuck! Thanks, MUD

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Try it on the other truck again to see if it still blows fuses.

3. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Hooked up '03 again, smart hitch button had power going up and down aqs soon as I staqrted. Power suddenly stopped in the up position but did not blow fuse. Repeatedly tried going up and down with switch on tower, but only had down. Never blew fuse on this truck. MUD

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Now you know it's a plow side issue. And if all other functions work fine- first check the SH switch connections with the schematic. Seen a couple over the years that were wired incorrectly from the factory. If that checks out ok then most likely you got a faulty SH switch right out of the box. Which is most likely rather than a wiring issue since it worked initially.

5. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I'll give that a check tomorrow, and I have another guy in town who bought the almost the same plow, his is a poly unit, that I will hook up also tomorrow and see how it works on his. If I have time, I will try and see if i can hook up to his with my truck. After all the years I had the old RT-2 with minimal malfunctions, I am kicking myself for selling it!!!!!!!!!!!! 9 times out of 10 if there was an issue it was just getting a better ground to the plow. MUD

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You won't once you're used to it. There isn't a great deal of differences between an RT2 and RT3 hydraulically or electrically so you'll adjust to it's simplicity and reliability quickly.

7. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

The biggest differance I see is the simplicity of hooking up. I had my RT-2 sitting on 2x4's and could drive right in, hook up the wiring plugs and throw the lever up, lock it in and done, 3 minutes at the most! This smart hitch is seeming way way too much extra engineering for what needs to be done! Probably should call my cousin and complain!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wouldn't do any good since he didn't get me a break on the plow either! MUD

8. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

When in float the smarthitch sends control to the solenoid. Do you have your solenoid hooked up correctly? I don't quite know the details on this yet but this seems accurate.

9. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Selenoid is hooked up correctly. Haven't hooked up '02 to other plow yet, will try and do that later today, damn job is getting in my way! MUD

10. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Well problem finally solved. Do we want to play the guessing game or should I just spit it out?
    Okay, I'll tell. Definately a puzzling task, although we had narrowed it down to the tower. It seems that during the factory setup when the wiring of the smart hitch was finished, one of the black wires was behind the pump motor and when the rear cover/shield was bolted to the pump it pinched that wire FLAT! Just one of those things to drive you absolutely wild. Of course I couldn't see the black wire heading that way the first time I took the cover off against the black background, and I should have pulled on the wires a little harder to notice it was caught on something. Anyway, 16" of new wire and a couple ends, good to go! I'll have to get the deflector mounted next. MUD