1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new 8' proplow poly

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 03mossy, Nov 14, 2007.

1. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

this is the first plow i have purchused. i have used others in the past for companies i have worked for(boss v, hiniker c-plow) now that i am on my own i went with western for a number of reasons, mainly the ultra mount and the quility of build. i had it installed on monday and i gotta say it looks pretty sweet on my chevy. anyway is there any tricks and tips you more experiance western guys can give me? any parts that break frequintly that i should keep in the truck? wear points i should keep an eye on? is a backdrag blade worth it or will i be fine without it(i do a 111unit townhouse, i know a skid would be ideal but $$)?thanks for any input and this is a great site!

by the way it's on a 04 chev 2500hd crew cab w/ the duramax/allison combo if this helps.

2. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

how much ballist weight do you all use? i e-mailed western about it and they replied that "this plow is too heavy for the truck, the only plow that we recomend is the mid-weights" they didn't answer the question, i am assumeing they didn't say for liability reasons, i hope there wrong and the plow isn't to heavy for the truck!

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I doubt that it is too heavy. I use a 7.5' pro plow on my 1500 and that one is all steel. I tend to run about 400# between my rear wheels. and the truck sits pretty good. I would recommend around 500 - 600#. unless you plan on using a salter.

Tom

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I hope you got timberns. Also you might want to look into getting a rear pull plow. The snowman ones uses the same hitch as a western proflow 1. So you can install a 7' rear plow and a pro flow 1 spreader at the same time.

5. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

ok what exzactly are timberns? what do they do and how much do they cost?

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Here is the better question why didn't your dealer sell them to ya when they installed the plow? Thats almost a requirement around here on chevys at the western dealers. No timberns, no plow. Click the little button on the bottom left under the sponsers for more info.

7. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

are timberns a nessecity? the dealer said nothing about them whatsoever. what could happen if i choose not to add them?

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've had a 9'2 Boss on my 02 since new and it doesn't have timbrens, my 98 does though. Haven't really had problems with either truck.