1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NEW 8.2 poly V bent on second storm!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Snowman16, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Snowman16

Snowman16 Member

I am so disappointed with my BOSS poly V, The A frame and left side wing twisted when i hit a CRACK in a parking lot going under 10 mph! The dealer said the $1800payup worth of damage is not covered because it's my fault. Has anyone els ever heard of a plow bending so easy? Do you think it was just "weak" from the factory or are they that fragile? Oh, and by the way the same guy at the dealer that said this plow was to big for my 2500HD and would wreck the front end, the truck was fine:realmad:, and didn't even notice what happened until the left wing was dragging on the ground. Please tell me what you think.:help:

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

ya our new boss plows havent been holding up to well either. i wont go into details as i dont want to get into a pissin contest on here but to sum it up i doubt i will ever be buying a boss plow anytime soon, and its a shame because they have some nice features.

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You got a picture of the "crack"??? There's no way it would bend from just hitting something simple. I've caught the corner of curbs, frozen cinder blocks and plenty of rocks and mine has never bent. Something sounds fishy that's for sure.

4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'd like to see pics of the plow too

5. Snowman16

Snowman16 Member

I will try to snap a few pix of the spot, the dealer said the only other explanation beside going faster than I said was a freak type deal. I my truck weighs 10,400# with salt, but still, I've seen my same plow on 350 dumps before and I don't think weight was the issue. But like ABES said I like BOSS stuff and don't want to diss them but this kinda turns me off.

6. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Hmmm something doesn't sound right. Altho I have a Western, I've hit gas caps in gas stations going about 15mph...

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My 2002 9'2 V is bent a bit, not sure how it happened but one of the wings hangs lower then the other. It still works fine though. Do your relief valves work when your finding a curb?

8. A Man

A Man Senior Member

I have 3 boss V's, all 9'2", the oldest is a 98 and it still has original wings, they are a little bent but it plows fine. I once saw one of my operators drive straight into a curb at about 10mph on a bit of an angle because he didn't notice we had cleaned up the lot with the loader. He smacked his head on the windshield so hard he had a big goose egg the next day. He was driving a 3500 gmc with about 2 tons in the salter. Amazingly plow was fine. Couldn't believer it. All of mine have been really tough so far. Sorry bout your luck

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

There is some guys on here that will say that that plow is to small for the truck. I know there are some guys in my area that run 9'2'' vees on there trucks. I ran one (a 8'2'') on my 02 reg cab 2500hd, and I also have one on my 04 duramax ext. cab. I think that you have to be careful to say the least because they seem to be kinda fragile in the frame. I have never had a problem like yours tho.

10. Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge Member

Sorry about your plow. I've been looking at the BOSS V plows, this shouldn't be an issue on the steel plows correct?

Hope you find a quick fix!

11. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I've bent an A Frame and a wing before. The A Frame bent when the plow tripped and the truck drove up over the plow straight on at 10 - 15 mph and on the gas. The wing bent when I hit a curb that I had no idea was there - I hit it at a slight angle and again was going pretty fast.

But, all said and done, I've hit alot of stuff, hard, very hard and bent nothing.

Your 1800 fix is really only maybe 1200 in parts and not really that hard to do yourself - I had 400 in thye a frame and 700 in a wing.......

What ever is hanging on the front of your truck, yellow, red or red will bend / break when you hit things certain ways - I've just learned to slow down and remember where trips spots are at.......

12. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

My 03 RT3 8' 2" v blade just broke on me this week;

here is photo:
    plow.jpg

as you can see in the photo is I added 2' to plow and made mine a 10' 2" plow so the plow is a lot heavier.

This my post from another thread:

:I own a 03' Boss RT3 8' 2' v blade that has been used alot. I added 1' extensions on the blade last year so now the plow is a 10' 2" v blade. What broke is the push frame part
    # trf 01311. One side broke at the pivot point, limped back to the shop and just as I pulled into the shop the other side broke. The metal just cracked in font of the pin on both sides, so the head gear was still attached and the plow was only connected by the lift cylinder. At 4:30am I had to weld it all back together again and lift frame back into the coupler assembly and put pins back in, I think my welds should hold for awhile, did some reinforcing but Boss makes a different push frame for a 10' blade, cost about twice as much as the one I have around $1000. Does this push frame fit in the coupler assembly that I have or is that different also. What is the difference betweens the two, my manual only shows drawing of the one I have. Any help would be great. Thanks

I ended up taking the lift frame off and welding it back together along with reinforcing, if it doesn't hold I will buy a new push frame. This plow has hit many curbs, manholes etc. many times and I am pleased with how it has held up over time.

plow.jpg

13. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Maybe the poly plows are weaker. We bent/twisted a moulboard on our 9.2 3 years ago when driver hit curb while plow was angled. Was going over 10mph. Ours is one of the older style with the boxed section. But it did bend the frame on the F250 also.Plow still running in bent condition. My advice is just keep using it untill its shot.

14. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I had the drivers side upper mounting tab for the angle cylinder bend all the way. The bolt sheared off at the bottom, but I did not notice till it would barely angle. I just bolted the ram to the bottom tab and finished the storm. I still need to fix it. I am gonna weld gussets to the top tab to make it stronger. I will take pics and make a thread about it as soon as I can get it done.

15. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd check your relief valves.

My steel 8.2, whenever I drive into a curb, the wings just fold back.

They're so soft that even if I get into alot of hardpack, and the plow digs into it, that the wings will want to fold back.

16. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

same here. my wings are very soft as well. 4" or wet ice snow and they start to pull back when running in open lots and a scoop. i would tell the dealer its "one of those freak things" and have them fix it unless you know there is more to the story. i see what you said as normal wear and tear and thats what you should be doing with it.

17. Snowman16

Snowman16 Member

I know my relief valves work fine, like everyone els said even a big bite of snow and the wings start drifting back. When I hit the spot the plow was in scoop and the wing did not fall back until the plow jumped over the crack, the left wing had caught it the wrong way i guess. I wold have thought the plow should trip when it hits a crack even in scoop?

18. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The plows are made the same. Polys and steels, the only diff is the modle board. One is poly and one is steel.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Could you elaborate just a bit about it? What exactly does "not holding up too well" mean?

What part/parts are they having problems with?..just curious.

You can bend or break anything with just the right force and leverage applied in the right area...

The Boss's are good, but you can bend/break one....and of course a full trip plow will distribute the stress over the entire wing, applying plenty of stress to it in the procces....unlike a TE that keeps the force mostly concentrated in the base angle, so the wing doesn't see the kind of torsional stress that a full trip does. But that's not to say you can't bend a wing on a TE V either...
    I've fixed an MVP with a bent wing before...and it wasn't much of a hit.. just the right place and the right amount of force to take it out.

20. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

So it's not just us. We've also been having really bad luck with our new boss plows lately. One of them, the A-Frame totaly came apart..... split the metal...... and it wasnt abused. I know you guys out there are saying "O sure, they must have hit a concrete wall going 50", but no, seriously, they are not doing too good. However, our boss plow from 7 years ago is still pluggin away.... showing some wear, but nothing like the new ones.

BTW- We are running the steel V

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008