1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 8.2 Boss DXT poly issue

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Fjtort2, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Recently purchased a new DXT for my new 2015 2500HD 6.0 gas. The truck has snowplow prep. The plow/truck is still virgin to snow. Today blade is on for an upcoming snow storm. During COLD starts it shuts off the stereo and makes the gauge lights shut on/off, when you move the wings of the blade. It does not do it when going up/down. Once it is WARM it does not malfunction at slow speeds for plowing. At higher speed 20MPH+ if you tap or move the wings "Scoop" buttons it triggers the stereo or gauges again.

I took it to my BOSS dealer that installed it.. They are saying I need a bigger battery or a dual battery. They said with all the electronics it is struggling to power the blade and stereo? Not sure what to believe here. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank YOU!
  2. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

The battery is currently kicking out 743amps if that helps!
  3. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Not having owned a Boss V-Plow before. I'm picking up my first one Monday. Did they lubricate the center pin? Being new I'm sure that everything is tight and you are also trying to overcome some mechanical force (return springs) when angling the blades.
  4. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

obviously wired incorrectly( wrong fused port , fuse size , wiring ) . what ? the Boss dealer just shrugged you off ?
    where did you buy / installed at ? i would have tested it before paying for it .
    i'd aslo demand they remedy it correctly and quickly .
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Fords will do that. When you first it and running everything obn it they play with the plow when its cold it draws a lot of amps. So as it warms up truck and plow your fine. When your ready, put the biggest battery you can it it.I run the napa emergency one.
  6. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

my first thought was fuse. it's funny because we hooked up our plows last night. first thing that happened when i picked the plow up was the radio shut off. this is typical for us tho, so no big deal. all the lights dim pretty good too. yes, it's an old ford

i would check the fuse first thing. my second thought was is there enough hydraulic fluid in the plow? if not the fluid gets a lot thicker when cold thus making the plow demand more power from the truck. just trying to think outside the box here

upgrade the alternator i would say then get a bigger battery. those two are very common upgrades with plows
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  7. Travis Boyer

Travis Boyer Junior Member

The last time I had a problem similar to this on an install, I used the ground lug that is on the front of the fire wall (driver side). Even though I tightened it down the gauges wouldn't work until I had a good ground. Your problem certainly fits the criteria for a ground problem.
  8. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

A fuse is for overload protection. If it had blown. You would not have any power and the fuse would have to be replace. Now if it was a breaker. It would either reset itself, if it was designed to so, or it would have to be manually reset. High resistance connections can cause an over current situations. That is why you want to inspect, clean and apply some dielectric grease to all your connections.
  9. jerpa

jerpa Member

I have the same plow on a 2013 2500HD and have no such problem. I don't think they loaded the electrical system that much more with the new body style. I'd be quite unhappy with the dealers response.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  10. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

I do have the "my link 8" dash" no navigation.
  11. jerpa

jerpa Member

You can try enabling the high idle if they still have it on the 2015 and see if it solves anything but I really don't think this is a truck issue, I think it's an install problem. Your truck has the high output alternator and larger battery so you've already got excess capacity beyond what the stock truck should require. I can run my lightbars, spreader, vibrator, and plow and not have anything shut off. The heater slows down a tad and the lights dim slightly.
  12. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Plowed over the weekend with it (little 3"snow). No issues at plow speeds at all.. It messed up once at higher speeds. I did nothing to try to fix the problem yet. Very happy with DXT snow moving performance. Should I still be concerned and take it to the dealer? Thanks for ALL the GREAT feedback!
  13. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

BOSS got back to me.. This is what they said-2 things I would check on your truck make sure the red wire and red/white wire are hooked directly to the positive side of battery. There is a black/red wire which is the keyed power source if it is hooked up on the driver side under the dash by your left foot area on some trucks it will cause electric issues you will have to move that to the fuse panel under the hood.

I notice I just have a red wire going to positive and a blackish/brown wire going to negative. My dealer already moved my fuse deal to the non key powered side to try and fix this issue.
  14. doncon1216

doncon1216 Junior Member
    from Buffalo

Has it been fixed yet? If so can you tell me what it was? I am having the same issue with a new 8' boss super duty and a 2013 super duty with plow package
  15. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

I have not resolved the issue yet. Goes to dealer tomorrow .
  16. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Fjtort2 - We have 2 of these trucks (2013 & 2014): We do have 2 batteries in each of them.

Also, let me know how you think those stock tires are in the snow.

These 2 trucks slide around more in the winter when plowing then any other truck we have. It's kinda annoying for us.
  17. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Two batteries help?
    I put Hankooks Dynapro AT/m on. One push with them. I like them!