1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 6.4 hemi MPG unloaded?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jerseydrew, Mar 4, 2014.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

I'm thinking of getting one and would like real world numbers on MPG mixed driving.

2. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I just picked up my 3500 6.4 SRW crew cab with 3.73 gears on Tuesday. I'm still on the "free" dealer tank of fuel. I have about 250 miles on her so far with 60% interstate the rest local roads. Its hilly in my area with little flat stretches and the EVIC reads 13.4. I drive conservatively.

I'm impressed with the truck so far, and for a large truck 13 mpg's isn't bad. The mpg's will likely increase slightly after the break in, and as it warms up out side.

3. trevier

trevier Senior Member

no offense, but your buying a 4x4 truck with a 6.4 liter, your worried about mpg?
    If your worried about mpg you should buy a prius,

4. Mega cab

Mega cab Member

Just because we like more power doesn't mean we don't want good mpg!

5. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

OP asked a question, and I answered. Its a legitimate question, and something everyone considers before flopping down a crap load of $

But, I dont care who you are, if these trucks, gas or diesel got 4-5 mpg's you would care. 4x4 or not.

6. trevier

trevier Senior Member

I bought a 96 f250 4x4 off the lot brand new, 4.10 gears with the 351. Nothing got worse mileage than that thing, drove it till it had 130k on it. Anything over 13-14 mpg in a 3/4 ton is fine with me.

7. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I agree, 13+ mpg's for 3/4 or 1 ton is fine with me also, but theres a lot of guys that would love to have a 25/3500 but dont really need one, and its the mpg's that keeps them from making that jump.

My gmc 1 ton dump with 6.0 got 9 empty. Towing? Well lets just say it was a good thing it held 62 gal of gas.

8. trevier

trevier Senior Member

I have a 1/2 ton 07 chevy now and when work gets better I'm going back to a 3/4 ton, not only for plowing but to pull my 16ft work trailer, the 1/2 just doesn't cut it with 3.23 gears.

9. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

The only way I would plow w a 1/2 ton is if I only did my own drive. Plowing is tuff on a truck.

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Sounds like a bad gearing choice, you can get 3.73 gears the same as a HD truck in a half ton it's your own fault for buying a truck with highway gears

11. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Little harsh dont ya think.... maybe he wasnt towing that much wt when he first got the truck and it pulled fine. Dont judge a book by its cover....

12. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Wrong. I would have gotten the 3/4 ton regardless. I have a need for a 3/4 ton truck and a half-ton wouldn't do it, so even if it did get 5 MPG, I still would have bought it. Bottom line is, if you NEED a super duty MPG's are going to be relatively close across the board between the big three. I wouldn't be on here asking what kind of MPG's they got. And I can't picture a SERIOUS buyer in the market for a 3/4 ton truck walking into the dealer and having that be the first question out of his mouth. A tire kicker maybe, but not a serious buyer.

13. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Good for you....you da man.. So I guess im not a SERIOUS buyer as mpg's were a major concern of mine. Not everyone NEEDS a 25/3500. Not everyone tows everyday. I only tow heavy 3_4 times a yr. I could get a half ton and borrow my nephews 5500 when needed. But seeing im not a SERIOUS buyer I got a 3500.

14. trevier

trevier Senior Member

WRONG, only way to get those gears is to get a half ton with the vortech package, which means the 6 liter. Nowadays in order to get the 6 liter in a 1/2 ton you have to jump to there "special" packages which runs you over 50k, screw that. All the big 3 are worried about mpg, if I was worried about those I'd buy a prius. I can change the gears if I want to spend about 2-2500 on it.

15. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

When you guys want to get back on the OPs topic I too am curious about the fuel milage on the new ones. 1-2 mpgs at 20,000 miles a year adds up fast with fuel close to $4/gal. It is certainly enough for a nice dinner with the wife. I still pick up pennies no matter which side is up, a penny saved is a penny earned.

16. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I've been known to pick up a penny or two.......

That said I'll get back on topic. Im on my 3rd tank of gas. The 2nd tank hand calculated, 14.4. EVIC, 14.6. That was a mix of 40% hiway and 60% local roads. I'm in a hilly area where the MDS doesn't engage or say engaged very long. Everyones driving habits are different, but according to my nephew, I drive like a old man.

17. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

When you let your foot off the gas and glide does it go into 4 cylinder mode? As soon as you hit the slightest grade on the highway does it go back into 8 cylinder mode as well? Just curious, I don't think 14.4 is all that bad

18. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

When you're at cruising speed it drops into 4 cyl. Then back to 8 when you need torque

19. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

If your on a relatively flat road or going dow hill the MDS will kick in. I only takes a slite up hill for the rpm's to drop enough for the MDS to disengage. As wiffyspark posted if you need more torque or speed a little pressure with your right foot will kick it back up to 8 cyl.
    Again my area is hilly and the MDS doesn't stay engaged long. For some reason it always seems like I'm going uphill all the time...lol.

20. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

I'm curious as well about fuel economy. We're considering a new truck and we're kind of on the fence about the power plant - found one with a 6.4 Gas that's all setup the way we want. Any thoughts on how the 6.4 compares to the 5.7? Truck will be used for plowing in the winter and towing a mowing trailer in the summer. All the other Dodges in the fleet (5) have the Cummins engine, so gas is a new territory for us.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014