1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 6.0 Powerstroke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by niederhauser la, Jan 13, 2010.

1. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

Just picked up a 05 F-250 6.0. I have heard alot of bad about the 6.0 but I drove it home about 200 miles and I have to say I like driving it better then my cummins (Sorry Dodge). Its getting a wideout tomorrow.

Anyways anything I should do with it other then regular maintenance? This is my first 6.0 Thanks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Very sharp truck, you will like it. MIght want to put 6500# or 7000# springs in front. Cheap and easy to do.

3. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

I was thinking the same thing. Where can I get them, dealership?

4. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Go here, 26,000+ posts all about the 6.0 powerstroke. Should help.

And good luck. I am looking to buy one in march.

5. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Do the high idle mod. Theres 2 blunt factory wires in your truck that need power to make it work. Its just nice to have if you want to let your truck sit running. Def do a leveling kit with 4" blocks. Nice truck I like it a lot.

6. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Nice looking truck! Were you able to read the Oasis report I sent you before you bought it? No major issues, but it was taken in a few times. They started fixing a lot of the problems with the 6.0L by 2005.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You like it better than a Cummins?

Looks like you'll need some decent tires if you're plowing with it.

Good luck, hope you got a good one.

8. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

Yeah I did get to read it. Helped out alot! It looked like a oil leak and a few re flashes. Seemed pretty clean to me. I would hate to see a report on my 08 Cummins, it would be 4 pages long. Thanks for your help

9. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Only use factory oil and fuel filters- Do some reading on the subject- There is a guy on you tube that gives some good info. I think its powerstroke help- or something like that.

10. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

go go diesel dot com is the only place you need to go read

11. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Best things to do for your 6.0.
    High idle (6.0's have wet stacking problems when idled for long periods of time)
    New exhaust (ditch the cat for off road use only LOL)
    SCT with custom tunes from ERIC at Innovative diesel (one of the best 6.0 tuners in the country)
    A set of gauges (egt, boost and trans temp)
    And last block off the egr cooler.
    If you do these things the 6.0's are great running, reliable trucks.
    I have ran Rotella 10-30 in all my 6.0's and it seams to work the best. I also buy my oil filters from walmart, the ford dealer is a total rip
    Robert

12. maelawncare

Good luck with that. Just about everything i have read concerning oil and fuel filters have been to buy stock only. Just about everybody agrees that aftermarket ones mess stuff up.

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Rob seems to know his stuff about these engines since i think he owned a diesel performance shop before.

14. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

They sell motorcraft at wallmart. thats where I buy my stuff too.

15. rob_cook2001

I have ran both motorcrap and fram filters. I send in a oil sample every other oil change and can tell no difference in either filter. Also no difference in oil pressure or oil temp (real gauges not the fancy idiot lights on the dash)
    Ford just wants you to buy there expensive crap.
    Robert

16. rob_cook2001

And good looking truck niederhauser la. Like the wheels but ditch the cab steps :}

17. maelawncare

It wasnt from ford that i heard it. I have been researching the 6.0 for months since i am buying one in march.

Almost everything i have read concerning fuel and oil filters have been from users, and to only use factory filters. All said that the aftermarket ones messed stuff up. What they mess up i do not remember. Its just what other people recommend. You are the first out of about 100 people i have talked to that dont recommend factory filters.

18. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

the problems with the aftermarket filters have been that the oil filters are a tadd shorter and they do not seat right, so the aftermarket filteres give u a lil adapter to put on the top now. The fuel filter are pleated and covered with a cellulose media(looks like tp) over the fuel filters, better filtration so it can be used as a fuel water separator. The aftermarket fuel filters to not have the extra tp looking outer covering and therefore do not filter the water out of the fuel. that is the difference with the filters. Go look at a motorcraft and a Napa, and see the difference. And yes Walmart has genuine ford filters and they are cheaper than any dealer. GOod luck thats all i use in mine.

19. rob_cook2001

I am not saying the factory filters are not good. They are just over priced. For fuel filters I usually end up running motorcraft just because it is hard to find anything else. I almost always run fram oil filters in 6.0's from stock to over 700hp with no problems. I am not trying to be a D1CK, just giving my opinion/ experiences.
    Robert

20. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

Wideout Installed, Leveling kit, and, new tires ready to plow

[​IMG]

Sawboy likes this.