1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 6.0 or used 6.6 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Grotonems5, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

I was pretty well set on getting a 2010 leftover gas 2500HD and putting on a Western MVP, but I was looking around and found that maybe a used diesel would be better on mileage and have more power for plowing/hauling? I found an '07 2500HD diesel for $25k with less than 40k miles, would that be a better deal then dropping $34k on a brand new gas job?

Thanks for your input! ussmileyflag

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Hard to pass up on the 07 for 25k. I'm assuming it's an LBZ. Also low miles. Is it a crew cab I might be interested if you don't want it.

3. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I would go with the Dmax!!!! Getting in to one for that price being only 3 years old is a heck of a deal, imo. Will have way more power for anything you want than the 6.0, although it isnt a slouch either. And being a reg cab, you wont have issues with plow dealers not putting a 8 foot or bigger plow on it.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have the mate to that truck and bought it new in 08 for $32,777. Trucks were cheap 2 years ago. If you could buy it for around 24K I'd do it. There is no comparison driving a Dmax to a 6L. I have 6L and it's a good truck but hard to drive after the diesel.

6. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

Nice! thanks for the advice! Any problems with the 07 Diesels? I don't know much about the emissions, could you fill me in a little more on that? the 3yr 36,000 warranty would be up on that truck but the 5yr 100,000 would still be good. I have a feeling from what I have read on here the Western MVP would be a good match up to that truck, but I am sure you will correct me if I am mistaken :D I would like to get into the business but don't want to do it with my '09 1500 ex cab I bought back in January, and hey, it's an excuse to buy another truck! :nod: I already have 3 residential and 1 small commercial ready to hire me when I get set up.

7. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

the diesel engine weighs more- not sure what plows are recommended for it. but if you haul/tow stuff you can't beat the diesel's power. we do have an '09 with the 6.0 and are more than happy with it, though it is not our plow truck.

8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I have an '04 2500HD Dmax and Boss V with Timbrens. Most of last season i didnt even have any ballast, it did just fine.

So to answer your questions, I would go with the Dmax. I bought mine used with more miles then the one your looking at. So I wouldnt worry about that. By the way the LBZ is a great motor. :nod:

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He's looking at an LMM but they are basically the same except emissions.

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Really depends it you "need" the diesel. I wouldn't have it any other way, but I use my trucks for things that I'd rather not rely on a gasser to handle. 6.0's are great motors, but no gasser compares. I was just pulling my buddies new boat through the GA/TN mountains yesterday with his 6.0 Suburban. I love the truck, and around here it does the job he needs it to do 10 fold (he has diesel work trucks too). BUT as I was pulling off the side of the road through a few of the bigger inclines b/c the truck couldn't handle doing the job, I really wished we were in one of my trucks. 30' Searay, 11,800 trailer weight. My diesels would laugh at that, honestly. Now, once we were on a decent stretch, it did just fine. I really knew as we were sitting there cooling down, when a 6.0 Ford PSD came trucking by. He was loaded with a 3 car wedge and 3 decent sized vehicles on it. Cruised by 55mph like it was nothing...................

MPG's is another thing. Although surprisingly working its ass off it averaged over 8mpg's loaded, a diesel would have probably nearly doubled that, even more on the home stretch.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  11. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Oh, I thought he said it was an LBZ. Your right, it is still a great motor.