1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 6.0 08+

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GMCHD plower, Jan 30, 2010.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

How many guys here plow with the newer 6.0 gas trucks? How do you like them? They seem to have plenty of power.

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Ummm... don't you have one? What do you think of it?

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

All 6.0's in my opinion have a lot of power, they just suck fuel like crazy!

4. GMCHD plower

Ya I have one but we don't have a plow for it yet. It will haul alot of weight even with the 3.73 but I'm wondering how you guys like them plowing I know its not a whole lot differnt but pushing a pile of snow infront of you vs pulling a fully loaded hay trailer is a little differnt.

5. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

GMC, tons of guys around here use the 6.0's for plowing. They are perfect for plowing I think. I've used the 6.0's the 8.1's, the duramaxes, old GMC's, and a couple fords. A 6.0 has plenty of power for a plow truck. I think if you're towing or want better mileage or just plain are a diesel guy, then duramax is the way to go!

The 2011 GM trucks will have a heavier FAWR also****

6. GMCHD plower

Personally I love diesel's (almost had parents convinced on buying one instead or the 6.0) But with the amount of towing we do it wasnt worth it. This truck has power up the a$$. I'm just wondering what guys have to say about plowing with them.

7. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

From my experience, the 6.0 gasser will handle anything snow-related you could throw at it. The 8.1's are beasts too!

8. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

The 8.1s don't seem to work as hard, but that could be because of the Allison. I wish the Allison was behind the 6.0L.

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I've heard this urban legend about the heavier front end- anyone actually seen proof of this upgrade from GM? SFA or IFS for '11? Different frame? My interest is definitely there!

10. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

11 gm hds

Read in a magazine gm was uping fawr on hds to 6000lbs. to accomodate snowplow needs for northeast contractors and other snowplow operators. Will see what happens as I will be looking about that time for a new hd:):) My 6.0 is great but also is horrible on fuel. Tow everyday in season and plow in winter. Thank god gas is not 4.00/gallon anymore, was killing me.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  11. Elite_Maint

Elite_Maint Senior Member

I plow with mine and it has alot of power....my Dodge has a 5.7 HEMI and the 6.0 will eat it alive! and the 6.0 is also ALOT better on gas then the HEMI!

12. GMCHD plower

Ya they have alot of power. I wanted to see your guyes opinion on what they were like plowing. We towed 7140lbs with our this summer and it was like the trailer wasnt even there. How do you like yours when the sander is fully loaded? Post a pic if you want.

13. Elite_Maint

Elite_Maint Senior Member

Don't have any pics with the salter but it's a small salter.. i only fit aprox 1.5 yards!.. and i know it's there but you don't feel it while driving.

14. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

It was in this month's diesel power mag- pg. 108 "Torsion bar suspension has been retained but features more load capacity." And "chassis has been redesigned in order to increase the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)."

This is for 2011

15. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Cool- I think I'd really like to see GM go to an SFA, but if they can get a 6K front GVW with t-bars- even better! Can't wait to see what the '11 looks like! Any thoughts on what the overall GVWR on a 2500HD will be?

16. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

As of now, the '11 looks exactly the same as the 10's i believe. except the chevy's changed the front bumper a bit. and the duramax will use urea injection and a 9th injector

not sure on the Gross weight, but should be able to get plow prep on an ext cab duramax again i hope

17. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Unveiling is next month at the Chicago Auto Show. :)

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Could also be due to the fact that they have more torque over a 6.0. ;)

You wouldn't like an Allison behind a 6.0 as they consume more of the available power than a 4L80E or 6L90.

19. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Wish I was there to see it- hopefully someone from here goes and reports on what the capacities are for the '11 2500HD/3500HD's!

20. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Think there's any chance GM will put a big block back into the HD's as an option?

Anyone know if the 6.0 is going in the '11 HD's, or will it be the new 6.2?