1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 4 wheel drivew transmission noise.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ctplowing, Dec 24, 2010.

1. ctplowing

ctplowing Junior Member

Ok. To keep this short. For about 3 years now my transmission has always acted funny. During the winter when plowing it would always take a few drives around the block to get her to kick in to 4 wheel drive then everything would be fine. It would also make a loud banging noise when it did kick in gear. I know, I know, I should have had this checked out a long time ago.
    Well tonight I put my plow on and even though it still goes in 4 wheel drive and works, it makes a constant knocking(more than a clicking noise) with each turn. Rather loud as well. This is the first time I have heard this type of noise. I can still plow with my truck but damn driving up to a customers driveway making this noise...well, just unacceptable. Imagine plowing at 2am with this noise...not happening.
    Any ideas what it could be and how much/fast to fix?

Any input here would be much appreciated. :help:
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It would help to know what Brand truck, load rating, Year, Mile's on it.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It would help to know what Brand truck, load rating, Year, Mile's on it, drive train, recent repairs or needed repairs.
  4. ctplowing

ctplowing Junior Member

1998 f150 125k miles.
  5. ctplowing

ctplowing Junior Member

Just last week had 2 sway bars replaced. New tires-alignment. Brakes done. Coil pack. Idler arm.

Needs new muffler system sooner or later.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's not the transmission......

Does it have the awesome semi-automatic hubs?
  7. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

So its been acting up for 3 years and you wait until a foot of snow is in the forecast right before Christmas when nothing is open to look into getting it repaired?
  8. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

Based on what you're saying the most likely problem would be a bad U-joint in your front drive shaft. You've probably wrecked it so bad at this point that you'll need a new shaft. If you find a good shop to make you one you can usually get them for $200-250 and it isn't too hard to put in yourself.

I would say it's a CV shaft, but I hope the competent shop that you brought it to when you had your brakes done would have seen a bad CV shaft while doing the repairs.

The only other likely cause would be something gone wrong in the front center section. In this case you're in for quite a bit of money and you can't do it yourself. At the very least you'll be paying $550 for someone to rebuild the center section and then any parts will be on top of that. If it's making that much noise you can figure on needing a ring and pinion for another $200 minimum.

Take the thing back to a shop and don't forget to tell them that the 4x4 is making noise this time!!!
  9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same thing happen last season on my F-250, and it was the Drivers side U-joint in the fron t axle. I would check there first. It will only make the sound in 4X4 because thats when it's under stress. I do have to agree with mycirus though. 3 years of making noise, and your just now looking into things. You have to take better care of your equipment then that, if you expect it to last, and be reliable.
  10. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

That's not going to be the problem. The only company that has used solid front axles in half ton trucks in the last 20 years is dodge. And if I'm not mistaken even they are using independent front suspensions in their half ton's since '02.

The only issue in the front suspension would be a CV shaft. They usually make a more subtle clicking sound. Not anything that would be heard by the OP's customers inside their homes.