1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 3/4: ton need to decide

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cwlo1448, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Cwlo1448

Cwlo1448 Junior Member
    from Chicago

I'm looking to buy a new Chevy 2500 HD or Ford F250. Without getting into the age old fight about which is better, I'm leaning towards the chevy since it seems to drive a bit smoother. It does sit a little low, and doesn't look as nice as the Ford. Any other drawbacks?

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Since it uses straight axle and leaf-spring front suspension, the Ford will probably carry the balde a little better. I have no direct experience with the Ford but I know first hand that in 1988 when GM went to IFS it was quite noticable that the (then new) 1988 K series didn't carry the blade as comfortably as the straight axle '87's. However the IFS '88's seemed to get better traction when pushing.

The biggest advantages (as I see them) on the Chevy side are ride and comfort. A friend of mine has a loaded F250SD Lariat for his personal truck and 3 Chevrolets for his business (2-2500HD's and a 3500HD Dump). He is always commenting that his basic 2500's ride better and have better stereo's than his high dollar Ford.

Power is the other place they differ. Base gas engine - advantage GM 6.0L over Fords 5.4L. Optional engines probably a draw - GM 8.1L V8 vs. Ford's V-10 and Duramax vs. Power Stroke.

As for looks, I would skip both Ford and Chevy and get a GMC with the 6.0 and quadra steer.
  3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Quadra steer is only availible in the 1500. I just ordered a 3500 SRW GMC, I think the Chevy is ugly. The 3500 with plow prep is rated at 4800 # for the front axle, GVW of 9900 #'s

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i noticed that the chevy sits lower then the ford i like the new fords or the dodges myself
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I think fords are the best looking, i have never been a big fan of chevy/gm's. Iam sure the chevy would ride a little smoother but for plowing and looks i go with the ford. Not saying that chevys cant or don't plow but everytime i see someone with a plow on one theie front end is always on the ground:rolleyes: Obviousley it has something to do with the driver (could use timbrens) but it seems common to chevys.
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

First chevys marketing is screwy.....used to be a 2500 was a 3/4 a 3500 was a 1 ton, it was easy to figure out and it made sense. A 2500HD carys the same weight capacity as the old 1 ton designation. If you want a true 3/4 ton get a 2500.

I've got a 03 2500HD with a duramax(read heavy) and I run around with a 9'6" fisher V and it handles the plow very well. My front only drops a little over an inch with the plow raised. The 2500HD's come with 245's for tires. I ditched em for 265's(what comes standard on the 3500SRW). I run the right amount of balast and I run timbrens in the front for extra insurance. It rides like a car unloaded and it rides great when loaded. Looks is all personal prefernence. I like the looks of the new Chevys over the GMC's and all the others. My truck just looks mean IMO, but thats all it is JMO.
  7. Cwlo1448

Cwlo1448 Junior Member
    from Chicago

Thanks guys.

I agree that the chevy looks are a bit disappointing, but I have a feeling they will become more liked as time goes by. I drove the chevy today, and am still impressed with the ride. It handled the plow fine, and potholes and the like were barely noticeable.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Buy the Ford. Enough said!

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

as far as a Ford carrying the blade better, who cares? Will you spend more time in the truck with the balde off or on? On my '02 2500HD I crank the torsion bars UP 5 turns in the winter and back down in the summer. This eleviates having to get an alignment and gives me the extra support the blade requires. Try that with your rough riding, prehistoric leaf spring suspension on that Ford. By the way, I always laugh at guys who tell me their Ford/Dodge is taller than my Chevy. Bottom line, Their axle is no higher off the ground than mine is. Trust a guy who has had 8 personnal trucks, buy the Chevy. You will get sick of jumping up into the taller rigs. Great for dates with skirts though!

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I prefer a truck, not a Celebrity with a lift kit. :waving: :gunsfiring:
  11. snow white

snow white Member

12. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

If your worried about ride comfort, buy a Cadillac. If you want to plow snow, buy a truck. If your still worried about comfort, spend a fortune on an air ride kit.:waving:
  13. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Ford, every person that I know has problems with their new chevys. Cranking down on the torsion bars will stiffen the ride and it will not be any better than the ford, and it screws up the wheel alignment-camber, caster??- I'm not sure which, I just know it does.

I can load more in a ford or dodge and a chevy at any given time. The duramax motor has no comparison to the ford or dodge.

I think that I could chain a chevy between a ford and dodge and litterly tear it in half.

Want an over sized car- buy a chevy
    Want a real truck - get a ford.

And this is coming from an ex-chevy fan that had more than 1 problem.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  14. PLOWMAN45

Just a thought i never buy a new truck to beat on i buy new used equip id rather buy a new everyday truck like tahoe or a blazer
  15. Sean Adams

Sean Adams Member

Some really great information...could read this site for days....
  16. ratlover

from IL

I run with the same crank in the winter/summer. It carys the 9'6" V blade excellent. It drops a bit over an inch with the blade rasied. My dad with a 550 has the same kind of drop with his 10' boss V(although it is a bit heavier) And my truck rides better with the blade. The 550 does tow much better though.(although absolute weight wise my truck could outpull the 550, but the larger dualy ford is very stable)

It also plows excellent and nothing has kersploaded yet even though I tend to give her hell. I have plowed faster than fisher says you can travel with it up........

If you decide to crank the torsion bars to the moon and you are afraid that it will mess with your camber or caster or something but your not sure what..... :rolleyes: Dont worry! All it will do is screw up your alignment(you can get it realigned). Up to 1.5" of raise is safe for your cv's and other parts. Dont go over that. And it dosnt matter how many cranks you do, all that matters is the final ride. If you adjust them to thier limits(they are MENT to be adjustable) and the ride hight dosnt change(like with a plow or what ever) all your stuff is still at the same angle. It dosnt matter how much you crank em just what the hight is. Torsion bars are NOT a progressive type spring! If you crank the hell outa them they wont get stiffer. They will just be at a different indexing and start raised higher. Thats what those factory bumpstops are for. To make your suspention prgressive. When you crank the hell outa your bars you may end up with your truck crashing down on the bumpstops(notice how from the factory they are resting one em) and this makes it harsh.

All this chevy IFS is weak is a bunch of crap in most cases. Were is it weak at? I know were its weak links are and what will cause em to break. Ever do a 4x4 launch with a couple pounds of boost on dry pavement with a truck making in the neighborhood of 850# of torque at the motor? I'll tell you what happens. First you DON'T scatter IFS parts all over the pavment and second you DO embarass the hell outa some dude in a mustang in front of his girlfriend. :nod:

The the mighty SFA is not imune to front end parts kersploading tierods and the like going south? My dads 01 550 has went through its share of front end parts.

How will a ford cost more in the end to set up? How so? Please explain.

Rip a chevy in 1/2??? :dizzy: Could we stick to facts or atleast experinces and thoughts that are somewhat based in truth?

Duramax is no comparision? How so? Please explain yourself......

I like to have my cake and eat it too. That why I bought a chevy. I like having something that is car like yet can get the job done. It fit all my needs. I would have considered Ford but the 6.0 gave me the willies. If I believed the ford would work better I would have bought it(and if it had the old 7.3 it would have been a much tougher choice for me) I also like the cummins motor but the dodge truck and trany itself worried me quality wise(supposedly they have made great strides in this dept but I was still unsure) I am not die hard Chevy, I would have bought what I thought the best truck was and in the future I will buy what I believe is the best truck. I didnt care what it looked like(thankfully the chevy has grown on me and I love it)

After buying my truck and owning it for awhile I am glad I went with the chevy. It plows extreamly well and the only trouble that has arisen from its ownership involves me being unable to keep my foot outa it. 21k and 2 sets of tires, and money for go fast parts, accused of inciting a riot and a few tickets.....threatened with about 350$ worth of fines thus far relating to my 5" exhaust with no muffler.....thats about it but the Allison and the rest of my driveline are holding up fine with 425hp and my driving. :eek:

This isnt a pro Chevy or anti what ever post.....Just trying to give you some info so you can figure out whats best for you. "Buy X!!!" never seemed to help me out......
  17. ratlover

from IL

Plowman does have a very good point though :nod:
  18. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I had a brand new 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500Hd. Nothing but problems after I drove it off the lot. I'm a chevy fan myself but Ford makes a better truck in my opinion.:nod:
  19. ratlover

from IL

I've had nothing go bezerk with my GM product other than a NSBU switch died, they replaced it with the updated version and I was on my way. Everybody makes a lemon. And unfortunatly it seems that geting something fixed at a dealer(regardless of brand) is a hit or miss kinda thing with finding a good dealer/tech nowadays.

Not saying ford dosnt make a good truck, just that the 6.0 gave me the willies and the GM was a much better fit for me at the time. I like the fact it rides way better than a 1 ton 4x4 should and is just a more comfortable and feature packed truck IMO. Just trying to stick up for all the Chevy is weak type stuff and give some actual experience about a chevy holding up just fine. :nod: I believed Chevy had the beter 1 ton diesel so I bought it.....if I buy another maybe ford will be the better choice for me. One thing I will say that chevy absolutley gets the crap kicked outa them by the rest with thier "car like" equipment is thier mirrors. The heat sure is nice but give me some big towing mirrors with blindspot mirrors built in for craps sake :mad:
  20. PLOWMAN45

just cant see spending 35-40k on brand new truck thats gonna get the crap beat out of