1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by HitchC&L, Mar 19, 2008.

1. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

How do the new 2500HD's handle a plow. Im thinking an 8.5 fisher SS V.

I know the older ones like mine (2002 2500HD...see pic) tend to sag because of the torsion bars, and I really dont like the torsion bar design, I considered a ford and a dodge, but I really am a chevy guy.

It would be the 6.6 DMax, and most likely an extended cab/short bed, but MAYBE a CC/SB

I heard something about them getting rid of the torsion bars on the new trucks, but I really havent done any research, so Im hoping you could fill me in

2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

They handle it the same. The new body style (07+) have the same frame and suspension as the classic body style HDs(01-07) The new half tons got coils up front but the 3/4 and 1 ton kept the torsion bars. There really isn't a problem with them and a plow when you add the proper ballast and a set of timbrens.

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

coil springs? wtf? how are the coil springs working out. got me curious now.

you mean coils for just the two wheel drive ones right?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Afraid not bri, coils on ALL 1/2 tons...2 or 4WD.

More car like every year remember... :dizzy:

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

kind of off topic but i heard the new 2009 dodge rams will have coil springs on the back axle :dizzy:.

6. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

O lord, Id like to see what kind of a suspension they put in there and how it works out.

Do they make upgraded torsion bars? Like could I put a set of 3500 bars on a 2500? Or do they make something like that?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can run any bars you want as they all interchange.

8. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Can't speak to as it handles the plow. the extended or the Crew cab. What I can say is if you go by e-match. those body styles with the Dmax. I think the only blade it's rated for is a 7.5RD. So keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that rating is considering passengers I believe.

9. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

http://allpar.com/model/ram/2009-ram.html

go down to the part on the suspension, after the part about the engines. It seem svery practical even though it sounds very odd but, luckily its only in the 1/2 tons. Unlike GM's attempt at a coil over setup in rear, the dodge system is a multilink setup, not a 3-link setup.

10. goose06

goose06 Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I've got an '06 D/A Excab. Most manufacturers will only go 7.5 because of weight. I went with snoway and put an 8ft on with no restrictions. Also, regardless, timbrens will help out significantly

11. samjr

samjr Senior Member

i got a 04 2500HD with 8.5 es-v

i got a 04 2500HD EX cab with 8.5 es-v and i got my bar all tighten up and i got 11" from tire to fender and with blade on i get 9.5 and on plow i get 6" on the sides when i got her Ved prsport

PS : be4 i tighten up my bars i had 9" from tire to fender

12. samjr

samjr Senior Member

Wow

i just did a Ematch on fisher site and this is what i got for my truck

2004, CHEVY/GMC, K2500HD SILV/SIERRA.

The vehicle has a 4x4 drive train, Ext Cab body style, 8.0 Box foot box, 6.0L V8 engine type, 4670 minimum FGAWR, 6084 minimum RGAWR, 9200 minimum GVWR, and HB3/HB4 headlamp type.

The blade selected is 9' XBLADE SS. The control type selected is Handheld Control.

The required ballast is 500 lbs.

and then did 1 for the 6.6D and can only put on a 7.5

2004, CHEVY/GMC, K2500HD SILV/SIERRA.

The vehicle has a 4x4 drive train, Ext Cab body style, 8.0 Box foot box, 6.6L D engine type, 4800 minimum FGAWR, 6084 minimum RGAWR, 9200 minimum GVWR, and HB3/HB4 headlamp type.

The blade selected is 7 1/2' RD . The control type selected is Handheld Control.

The required ballast is 820 lbs.

i don't get that 1 same truck just dif motor

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

But very different in front axle weight.

14. Bowtytek

Bowtytek Member
    from Maine

and doesn't the dmax weigh more than any gas engine???

15. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

yup it weighs more

16. samjr

samjr Senior Member

O ya

but u think GM wood beef up them under the 6.6 wow nice to know i was going to buy 1 this summer might goto a 1ton my 8.5 es-v came off a 1ton oftymusic

17. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Do some searching here.. Lot's of posts about this.. And tons of guys are running bigger blades with them.

18. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

There isn't any difference between a 2500hd and a 3500 up front. If you can find someone to install it, or do it yourself, go ahead and put any plow you want on there. Just because the manufacturer rates it different doesn't mean a diesel won't carry it. The heavier diesel uses up more of the available front axle weight rating. But it isn't like if you go over by a bit the torsion bars are going to shatter like glass. They will take a lot more for a long time. Those numbers are conservative. Kind of like payload, if your bed carrying payload capacity was 5000, and you put 5500 in it would you be worried?
    My Blizzard is more than my truck is rated for because of my diesel. But with the drw I need a big wide plow. I cranked my t-bars 5 turns, run a lot of ballast and haven't had a problem, doesn't sag a bit. If you think about it, you generally don't even carry it that much. This year was about 14 storms which is lot for this area. Then you subtract the time the plow is on the ground, and all it really ends up carrying it is to and from each job. My route is all within a 10 or 12 mile radius of home. I probably haven't "carried" my plow 1,000 miles in the 4 years I've had it.

19. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I've had a 7', 7-1/2, two 8' Fishers and now the 810 Blizzard. Bigger is better. I actually had a 7-1/2 then an 8 on the same truck the following year. I didn't think the 6 inches would make much difference, but it was huge. Unbelievable for only 3 inches more on each side, but it keeps the rear wheels out of the snow for a lot longer. And the additional height made a big difference too.

20. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i hate saying do a search but this topic has been beat to death. gm says dont but lots and lots of people do it. i myself do it. i have a crew cab diesel with an '8'2'' v boss. i added wings. also for a month and a half i had a 1 and 3/4 yard salter in my truck. plowed fine with it. no problems. use some timbrens and ballest and youll be fine. best of luck to you and stay away from those fords and dodges