1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 2500HD and BOSS DXT Issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Fjtort2, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Recently purchased a new DXT for my new 2015 2500HD 6.0 gas. The truck has snowplow prep. The plow/truck is still virgin to snow. Today blade is on for an upcoming snow storm. During COLD starts it shuts off the stereo and makes the gauge lights shut on/off, when you move the wings of the blade. It does not do it when going up/down. Once it is WARM it does not malfunction at slow speeds for plowing. At higher speed 20MPH+ if you tap or move the wings "Scoop" buttons it triggers the stereo or gauges again.

I took it to my BOSS dealer that installed it.. They are saying I need a bigger battery or a dual battery. They said with all the electronics it is struggling to power the blade and stereo? Not sure what to believe here. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank YOU!
    The battery is currently kicking out 743amps if that helps.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

definatly drawing alot of power i have one on order except i have the second battery in it when i had the diesel it came with 2 so i never noticed any problems with power. and you have plow prep so you got the 220 amp alternator even with out a second battery the 220 alternator should be taking care of it . I would swing by the dealer with the plow on and let them see what it's doing .
  3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Double check the new wiring. I bet the installers taped a bad ground or are pulling power from the wrong feed. Something stupid going on there. That rig should have plenty of power and you shouldn't notice a real draw for a few plow movements - after several hours of heavy maybe BUT still it should kill those devices. Check your voltage meter and how fast is comes back to normal.
  4. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Thanks for the quick replies! Would it be silly to plow with it on a 3" snow before the dealer gets a chance to work on it? Thanks!!
  5. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

It is not one of those deals I was reading about on the forum. Where you had to place the truck in tow haul mode to get the alternator to start charging at idle.
  6. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Any chance the alternator isn't putting out the correct amps?
  7. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

So they are NOW telling you it needs a bigger battery AFTER they installed it and we're paid, correct ?? Bring it to another dealer for a look, or have it removed from your current dealer and contact Boss directly. That's a joke :nono: the alternator would take care of that as mentioned by another member, dual batteries are just taking loads off the main for like a slide in camper, lights in another trailer ect. I have the dual batteries on mine
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Chevy alternators have a 3 stage output that is suppose to help with fuel economy. It can be aggravating to accept. I may be wrong and there are more stages but there is a chart somewhere on the output, rpm, fuel based on some voodoo the deal can't explain.

Still your issue is beyond the alternator and battery - I'm going with wrong wiring.
  9. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Doesnt sound right. I have a 2012 with a 6.0 and a 9.2 vxt and have never had any issues like that.
  10. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

2014-2015 the power lead for the snow plow HAS to be tapped before the fuseable lead. You will see an 175 amp fuse or a series of studs that come off battery power terminal. Make sure it is before the fuse.