1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 250, dealer plow or other.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by steven9892, Oct 11, 2003.

1. steven9892

steven9892 Junior Member

I am about to purchase a new 250/super cab,4x4. The dealer has an option with plow for an extra $3495. My question is would I be better off with out the plow and just go to a plow shop and have it done there. The truck already comes with the plow prep package.

2. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

what kind of plow?

3. chayesf250

chayesf250 Junior Member

I just made an appointment to have an 8' Fisher Minute Mount 2 w/ Fisher Control Stick, I called for a price first and they said it would cost close to $3900 installed. I used to work for a towing company that has there trucks serviced at this same place so they gave me the dealer price which was $3500. Hope that helps.

4. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Chayes250 where did you have the plow installed and where in Boston are you?

5. chayesf250

chayesf250 Junior Member

I'm actually just south of Boston. I'm having it installed at Metropolitan Truck in Stoughton. I live the next town over so it's very convenient and I know they do good work and stand by there work.

6. JD PLOWER

Metro is a very good dealer and nice too deal with also. Good luck with the plow :drinkup: .

7. chayesf250

chayesf250 Junior Member

Thanks JD, it's my first plow. I'm looking very forward to it.

:drinkup:

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Dealer installed items are usually pretty close to what you'd pay if you contracted it yourself, the dealers get a discount on their price to give them a small mark up for their trouble.

The nice thing about buying through the dealer is that the cost of the plow can be lumped in with the truck financing which often runs at 0% interest. Why not use their money?

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Im also curious to know what namebrand plow, which model and size they are going to put on there. It seems "most" dealers stick light duty Meyer plows on their new trucks. A few around here put on Fishers or Westerns. If you are happy with the plow they are going to put on, I see no reason not to go for it. The price seems decent and what Pelican said makes total sense. Let us know what namebrand plow and size, Id be interested in knowing what you are getting for that price. Mike :)

10. JD PLOWER

I'm guessing here but Steven says his location is New England so the odds are very good he's referring to a Fisher 8'. In these parts its hard to find a truck dealer that installs anything but Fishers.

11. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Jeff, It looks like all dealers use the Fisher set up now. 5 or so years back Dodge was using Meyers and some of the local Ford dealers used Diamond. I'm sure it has to do with what they get a deal on, and what the average customer requests.

12. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Just a FYI, Salem Brake and Clutch was the lowest price around on the Fisher plows. $3200 not installed with the Fishstick

13. steven9892

steven9892 Junior Member

Fisher *"

That is all they install, 8" fisher. Thank you all for your responses. I think with the information I will go with the dealer. Seems that the hassle of bringing it somewhere else is worth it.

14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Definitely go for it, an 8' Fisher HD plow installed for $3,495 seems like a real good deal to me. Find out for the hell of it though if its going to be an older leftover MM1 design or the newer MM2 design. Not that it matters really, but the MM2 design is the "new and improved" one. Either way, its a good deal. Good luck! Mike :)

15. steven9892

steven9892 Junior Member

BOUGHT IT

Well I was at the dealers tonight. sticker was 38,495. I went to a no haggle dealer and ended up paying 31,695 with the 8" plow. Power everything except seats. I think that the deal was good. 2 other dealers would not match it. See everybody in the snow.

16. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

That sounds like an awesome deal! Congratulations on the purchase, good luck with your new toy! :drinkup: Mike

17. hoagie

hoagie Member

Which dealer did you go to?

Jack Madden in Norwood is pretty good... no hassles.

18. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I was by Jack Maddin a few weeks ago, they have more trucks than the plant, holy crap