1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new 2015 silverado 2500hd

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by djmercer1, Jul 31, 2015.

1. djmercer1

djmercer1 Junior Member

just got a new 2500hd---2015 Silverado ltz dmax to replace my 2013 that was destroyed on dealer lot in accident.

this is the first truck i have had without plow prep(veteran of 4 dmaxes since 2001)---am I limited by not having the vyu or z71 options?

2. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Z71 does nothing for plowing, though it does give the "skid plates" and larger air cleaner.
    VYU also gives the skid plates and air cleaner.

Honestly, I don't see how either one is important, but maybe the filter makes a difference when you are dealing with a lot of powdery snow.

The light switch is nice if you install a beacon on the roof. Many other lights come with switches, so that's not important.

There are some upgraded coolers that you probably have if you have the towing package.

The two things that might be important are the front springs and possibly the fan clutch. Both are easy enough to change.

The only thing I would ask the dealer is if there could possibly be an issue with your warranty.

3. djmercer1

djmercer1 Junior Member

the skid plates are on the way---figure to have them and keep bottom of engine free of road debris wouldn't be a bad thing.... didn't realize the air cleaner and fan clutch were different---I will check with dealer for upgrades..

will the dealer swap the front spring and will this give an avenue to get the front axle rating adjusted if done as a dealer upgrade?

I am mostly concerned with resale value, I haven't seen many of these truck is my area without plow prep of z71---mine has the sun roof, so I think that is why plow prep was left off...

4. brasski

brasski Member

They do not offer a plow prep with the factory sun roof from GM its one or the other

5. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

The plow prep also changes the Alt.

My dealer did tell me that without plow prep adding a plow will Void all warranties

6. djmercer1

djmercer1 Junior Member

my dealer has said that a plow without plow prep wont void the warranty, but I still want make sure I cover my bases.

can a truck be effectively retro fit with the vyu rpo? I know this would required new spec labels etc; but would set my mind at ease...

7. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

I would ask him to give you that in writing from GM

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  8. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Definitely get that in writing. Everyone I talked to said no plow prep then no warranty coverage by GM

9. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Dealer said same thing ,no plow prep pack, no warranty. They deal with alot of commercial customers in the area. This was the first thing I asked when I bought new from them , Good luck.