1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 2015 F150

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by stainlessman, Dec 29, 2015.

1. stainlessman

stainlessman Member

I got a new Ford F150 back in August. Had a Boss 7.6' plow installed. Plowed with it for the first time tonight. When I double click the joystick. And the plow comes all the way to the top and stops. The center console dash lights dim. Radio/fan all the buttons that are light up dim then recover and brighten back up after a few seconds. I can generally hear the solenoid make a buzz or click once the plow get to the top and stops, then the lights dim. If I raise the plow with the up button and stop it before it raises all the way. Most of the time it will not dim. Anyone know why this happens ??

2. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

The F150 all hyped and such is no where near any of the other manufacturere when it comes to pushing snow. Sounds like you need more reserve capacity with battery or have a weak battery or weak output from alternator.

3. MattsMowingOH4

MattsMowingOH4 Member

Sounds like the plow motor is still running when you do the auto up function. Thats normal all my blades do the same when i use the double tap up(and the same reason why i do not use it!)

4. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

Normal, it's not harming anything.

5. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Would never have thaought that it would be normal. Learn something new everyday...

6. stainlessman

stainlessman Member

Thanks for your replies. I'll try not using the double click. Any idea if a larger alternator is available for the 2015 ??
    And all the hype is TRUE 'ggb'...its one hell of a truck. The 5.0L is 100HP more then my 2010 w/4.6L....drives/hauls/plows like a dream..Come on over to the Ford/Boss side.

7. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

It's funny how ggb says the F150 is "no where" near other manufacturers in pushing snow, however the F150 is approved to have a plow mounted in virtually any configuration with the 5.0. I believe the Chevy/GM has to be a barebones Reg cab long bed and I don't even think Dodge offers a plow package on a 1500. Sure it's not going to do as well as a 3/4 ton or larger truck but for someone doing a couple small lots or their own driveway it works well.

I have the plow prep on my 15 and 16 F250s and both sometimes dim depending on load. I have had a couple f150s in the past that did exactly what you are describing and they were always fine and had zero issues.

If it is super concerning you can upgrade the battery to a larger capacity but it is not needed.

8. stainlessman

stainlessman Member

Ok Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I hate to spend the $200. bucks on a larger battiery if it wouldn't fix the issue. But if it would. I would.
    Thanks Again.

9. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

Post a pic or two of the truck with the plow, I had a 04 with a Snoway and a 12 with a Boss Standard duty. Loved both of them. I did put a minor leveling kit to help with the weight and make it look better however it wasn't needed. Ford really hasn't changed the front end a ton from 04 but they are a great truck.

10. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Work the plow selectors and you will see the F150's just dont carry the front end weight that the others do. Dodge had a drop off with the 12 model years... I looked at all of them as I was toying with the idea of a new one. Wont be a Ford or Dodge. From memory most you can put on a 150 is a 7 1/2 foot... No 8' or V.

Run them all and see what you get...

11. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

You are correct, however both Ford and GM only recommend plowing with their 1500's for personal use. If one is using the truck for personal use I would only see the need for a 7.5' blade. Plowing with both 1/2 ton trucks and 3/4 ton trucks I would never put anything larger then a 7.5' blade on a half ton, let alone a V.

If you need the capability of a V plow or larger plow it would probably be a good idea to consider a 3/4 ton truck.

But the original argument wasn't how big of a plow could go on the F150, it was your statement saying the "F150 was all hyped and such is no where near any of the other manufacturere when it comes to pushing snow"

Now call me an ass for assuming, but I'm willing to bet you haven't plowed in one to make such a statement.

Whether you are plowing in a new f150 or new GM 1500 with the same plow, they will both plow just fine and probably last the same amount of time.

I do not know about the Nissan or Toyota half ton and know nothing to make a statement about them. But having plowed in the F150 and GM 1500, I can assure you each plow snow about the same and even though the F150 has a lighter rated front end, the GM sagged about double the F150 did.

12. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

You are correct I have not plowed in one but I'm working from the manufacturer recommendations and trying to sort thru info here. Long term goal (4 years away) for me is retire and plow residential. Want a V for the versatility and a bit more weight for backdragging than what I have now. Have a business plan in the works. Inclusive of truck & plow (new or used or stay with what I have), insurance and a back up plan, etc.. The net for me was I was disappointed in both Dodge and Ford newer 1/2 ton truck options out there.

13. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

Completely understandable. I believe all of the half ton trucks are capable of pushing a larger plow then what they are rated for, but the truck companies don't want lawsuits when something goes wrong.

As much as I would love to recommend a 3/4 ton truck for any plow business, doing residential is so much easier in my eyes with a half ton. My only worry would be the amount of snow you guys get over there so I can understand the need for a V.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! You seem to have your ducks in a row and I'm sure whatever you buy will suit you well.

14. stainlessman

stainlessman Member

A 'V' is to heavy for a half ton. The guy who works for me has a 2006 3/4 ton Chevy . After seeing me put the Boss on and off , he went and got the power V for his truck. Anytime you buy a half ton and mention a plow. The salesman will always say..."If your plowing one or two driveways you'll be fine. But if your plowing for a living you want the 3/4 ton." And I agree with the dealership. If I had 10 or more driveways each storm to plow. I'd have a 3/4 ton. I have a good size driveway and area around my welding business to plow. Then two family member driveways close by.
    I'll take a photo and post it tomorrow. More freezing rain here tonight.

15. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Sorry, but that is a completely inaccurate statement. It all depends on the model and year of the half ton truck. There are actually three V's that can and are routinely mounted to half ton. Boss, SnowDogg and Meyer.

With that, I'm done here.

Enjoy the hoiday folks and let's see some snow!

16. stainlessman

stainlessman Member

gbman....I'm not a snow plow expert....but when I do the 'plow selector' at Boss. I don't see a 'V' plow for my truck. I come here to ask and learn not to out piss you in the snow. If there is a company making 'V' plows for half ton pickups. I certainly don't know about them or many other plow upgrades. What I'm pretty sure of is the bigger the plow. The bigger the truck needed to haul/push it.
    Happy New Year to you and all the great folks at PlowSite.

17. trevier

trevier Senior Member

I got the skinny on plowing with the new 150's today at my local boss dealer. The new boss catalog actually has a picture of a 150 plowing with a light duty plow. I ask the dealer who I'm pretty sure is the owner if he knew anything about this and here was his response. You can order a new 150 with a plow package which gives it stronger weight capacity in the front end, it also has a selector switch inside on the dash that when you select it it shuts off all unnecessary items that have nothing to do with plowing, meaning radio, heated mirrors,dome lights etc. Now weather this is true or not I have no idea but to see a new 150 plowing in a boss catalog makes me think. Having no heated mirrors plowing ruins it for me.

18. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

All the plow prep on the new f150 turns off is your heated seats... nothing more

19. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Must be there's no snow!!!

Really fellas, a Member asks for an answer concerning his new truck , mind you HIS TRUCK. Why not just answer his question and NOT criticise his choice of trucks? Very easy to do plus it doesn't get arguments started. :salute:

20. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

My Duramax does the light dim & volts drop for a couple seconds when I double tap the "raise" button.

I have 2 batteries, beefy alternator, plow prep package........

So the light dim deal is just going to happen on all trucks I think.