1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 2013 2500HD anything that needs doin'

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by milkie62, Aug 26, 2013.

1. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Have been plowing with F250's for the last 24 yrs without a problem.Decided on a 2500 HD this time for engine access.The only complaint I have is the low rider of the Chevy's over the Fords.What needs to be done to run an 700-800lb plow off of it ? I know guys crank up the torsion bars to gain a bit of heighth.Is a suspension lift a better way to go or some other method ? How is tire wear with the torsion bars cranked.Have not decided on what plow to get yet but have been leaning towards a snowway 29R.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Should be fine with the plow. I assume you have the 5200 FGAWR?

3. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn Member

You can bring the front end up about 2" by just turning up the torsion keys. I think we got about 1.5" out of our '03 2500HD and its perfect for hauling around a 850 lb 8'6" Hiniker V plow. No other mods were needed, and picking up the plow barely drops the front end. The only thing you may have to do is adjust the headlights down, so that they don't always blind people coming at you. hahaha

Air bags in the rear are a good idea of you plan to haul any more the just some ballast weight for the plow.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If its not too late, drive it like you stole it to seat the rings.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The '11+ trucks handle weight from a plow much better then the '10 and older trucks do. I bet he will hardly have to touch his torsion bars if he has to do anything at all.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you already retired,nice soft seat and suspension.:)

7. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Well I always believed in the Fords since I am a firm believer in locking hubs.But since I do alot of my own work and the Ford engines are shoved so far into the firewall that it was a no brainer on trying a GM product this time with the clean engine compartment.

8. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn Member

That's really good to know! I'll keep that in mind as I shop for trucks in the next couple years.

9. SMiller

SMiller Member
    from IN

Crank up the torsion bars and install the plow, if you do not like the ride then install shock extensions, if you still don't like the ride install Cognito upper control arms or better yet a Cognito leveling kit (includes shocks) and you will be sitting tall riding comfortable, and looking good.

I am not a Cognito salesman, lots of leveling kits but must have upper control arms and shocks or shock extensions, just swapping torsion keys like the cheap kits do does nothing!

Congrats on the upgrade of truck, used to run Super Duty's, GM HD trucks is where it is at!

10. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Will check into that Cognito setup.I am ordering a Hiniker 8 foot C plow on Wed or Thur.Will crank the keys up also.I have the 5600 lb front axle so I should be set there.I was worried but see some 2500HD duramax trucks running V plows with no problems.

Was looking at the ProComp suspension setups since they say they do not void factory warranty.Then I was thinking of jumping up to the 295-17 BFG allterrain tires .Gotta get my little doo-dads here pretty quick before the snow flies.Fender liners,mud flaps and Husky floor liners plus alot of wax to keep the new baby lookin' good.

11. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

My 11 2500 HD 6.0 gas extended has the plow prep 5200 front end, and with a Fisher HD 9' the front drops 3/4" on lift

no need to do anything but plow

12. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

That is good to know.Then I should have no problem.

13. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

if youre worried about it, id level the truck first, and if they have the timbren kit for the 2013, that would help as well. but the truck, and suspension are new, and havent seen years of use and abuse, i dont see why youd have a problem at all.

14. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Just concerned since I have run F250's since 1990 with up to 35" tires on stock suspension (my 1988).And now they say you need a 4" lift on a 2500 for 34" tires.

15. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Just put the deposit on mu Hiniker C plow today.......

16. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Can get to the home page of Cognito but it is locked up at least on my computer.

17. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

You'll be able to get at least a 33 equivalent under there leveled. At least as far as I know on the older body Chevys, up to 07 classic. The NBS trucks especially the 11-13's I think they have Bigger wheel wells and the ability to fit larger tires

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I thought GMT800 trucks were NBS

19. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

yeah but i believe up to 11 they put the nbs on the 01-06 body style frame, but you could be able to get bigger tires under there i could be totally wrong lol i was almost sure theyre the same set up as far as oversize tires go.

20. Ant118

Ant118 Senior Member

i had to put a 3" kit on my 2001 to clear my 315/75/16's. just so it would clear on the lock to lock. also trimmed my fender liner. the 2011+ have wider fender opening I have buddies running 35's on there 2011's with just a crank of the torsion bars. But the bought I cant remember the brand upgraded keys and torsion bars part of a kit.