1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 2011 Ford Problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by canadiantowman, Jan 2, 2011.

1. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

Just thought I would let you guys know my friend has 2 of these new fords with the 6.7 and I think it's the dp filter under the truck has caught on fire twice now. 1 truck wrote off, 2nd truck he pulled over in time to put it out and towed it back to the dealer.

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Not familiar with the DP filter? What is it?

3. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Every new diesel truck has a particle filter on them now, since 08 I think. I would suspect something was touching it or a failure in the fuel line feeding it.
    For some dumb reason they figure injecting diesel into these things to burn off the buildup is a good idea. I would remove it if my truck had one.

4. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

$10,000 fine if caught removing diesel emissions!

5. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

There has been some issues with people using had held tuners that can create conditions to cause overheating of the diesel particulate filter.

6. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

If you have one of these trucks w/ the particulate filter you should have received a letter from ford illustrating the possible negative effects of these while regenerating. In that letter it blatently says that during the regenerating process flames can discharge the exhaust in excess of 3 feet and your vehicle should not be left idling near a building or flammable object for extended periods of time. It also says the vehicle is designed to only regenerate at speeds over X mph. Basically it's not designed to do it while idling, but just in case we're going to cover our but and tell you not to park next to a garage or fence. Everyone I know that has one took it off. This letter is more than enough to fight a fine if they were so inclined to try and enforce it.

Another reason why I bought a 6.2 gas on my 2011.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

lol thats some funny stuff right there....

8. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I didn't get a letter yet and bought mine in October. I will tell you that when the re-gen starts it smells and you can watch your mileage drop by 3-4 mpg. WTF?? :(
    They did send a coupon for a free DEF fill up. I've got 4100 miles and it says to re-fill it. Great. At least the first one is free.

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

and you never will get a letter like that......3ft flames.....once an 08 did that and people think that's a standard thing... got mine end of may, early june

10. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Sorry I didn't mean that for the 6.7 diesels I was referring to the 6.4 (08,09,10). I know 3 people with them and they all got the letter. I know 2 people w/ the 6.7 and so far so good.

11. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I guess I'm still waiting for the letter from Ford for my Job 3 '08 and '10 6.4 PSD trucks.

The flaming regen modes were on Job 1 2008 trucks and a few early Job 2 trucks.

Just my .02¢

12. NorthwestPlower1

NorthwestPlower1 Member

I am done with diesels! The emissions are ridiculous now. Mine as well write fragile on the engines now. 7.3PS was so great. Then I got 6.0 what a nightmare. Never again went back to gas. Just need to see an ecoboost motor move into 3/4 to 1 ton market next before I will buy another.

13. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

The feeling is mutual.
    Our 6.0 is a disaster.
    Im thinking of selling it in the spring.

14. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

7.3l = best motor
    6.0l = garbage
    6.4l = still headaches
    6.7l = i wouldn't hold my breath until there tried and true

15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I thought the UREA injection was supposed to get rid of the DPF and regen?

16. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Nope, just adding urea to the other solutions for the 2011 laws. 2007 was dpf.

17. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

i have an early 08 6.4 no problems at all. You usually only hear from the people who are having problems. i have never had flames from the exhaust, but it does regen in park. The amount of white smoke it blows when in regen is crazy, i always see people slowing down who are behind me.

18. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

the fire did not come out the end of the exhaust, it started while he was driving.

19. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

Seeing as I never heard of this problem on any other truck forum I've been on I'm calling BS. A google search shows one other thread on one other forum, where the OP gave no details and never posted again.

So either this is completely BS or your friend f'ed something majorly which caused this to happen to both his trucks.

20. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

07 did not have DPF.