1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 2009 F350 Dump V10

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by millsaps118, Feb 5, 2010.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Well.....after serious thought for the last 2 yrs :dizzy: I finally pulled the trigger and bought my first dump :bluebounc. I started this post not to long ago ( http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=96332 ) and took all the great advice/debate into consideration in helping me make a "realistic/practical" decision. So thanks to all who responded :drinkup:

I didn't pick up the truck yet so I don't have any pics to post, but I will once I pick it up. Here's what I ended up getting:

CAB SPECS
    - White 2009 F350 6.8 V10
    - 4.30 rear
    -13K GVWR pkg
    - XL trim w/preferred pkg & XL Plus pkg
    - Upfitter switches
    - Integrated brake controller
    - Plow prep
    - Jewel effect aero headlamps
    - Block heater
    - Cab steps
    - Cab clearance lights
    - Pwr tow mirrors telescopic

BODY SPECS
    - Henderson 11' (black) steel dump bed
    -13" folding sides/single handle quick release
    - 53" bulkhead w/cab shield
    - 5/8" pull plate w/2 D-rings & rigid mount hitch
    - 2 5/16" Pintal/Ball combo
    - ProTech 18"X18"X36" polished Alum. underbody tool box

While out on my route plowing last Monday I drove past this dealer at 2AM and noticed they had a couple dumps parked out front, so I turned around for a quick looky. Truck 1 was a loaded 2010 XLT F550 SS 11' dump w/6.4..... of course this was the first one I walked up to. Sweet looking rig but WAY out of my league to the tune of $60K:cry: Truck 2 is the one I ended up with. Still a great looking rig and set up for what I need it to do. Overall I am very pleased with what I bought. My heart was set on a diesel but when I re-evaluated ( for the 999th time) my needs -vs- wants, it was a no brainer.

I probably won't go get it until mid next week. Sunday - Monday - Tuesday we're suppose to be getting more white stuff and Tuesday I have a meeting with a vendor who is fling in from Chicago. I've been so busy from last Monday's clipper that rolled thru I didn't even have time to go back to the dealer and strike a deal in person so I did it all over the phone/fax this Wed/Thu and the sales guy just called me late this afternoon to ask me when I can come in and sign the paper work, Ford approved the deal. I ended up financing it under my business with Ford Commercial Credit - 0% @ 60mo 0 DN.

2. millsaps118

Update: Just brought her home

Well finally had time to go pick her up. Had a million things on my To-Do list so I snapped a few quick pics.

im000467.jpg

im000474.jpg

im000472.jpg

09 F350 DUMP.jpg

3. millsaps118

Drove it straight over to do a comm'l bid for the 2010-2011 snow season. I made sure to park it in the back 40!:D

im000456.jpg

im000478.jpg

im000473.jpg

4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Very nice truck, but I am curious what the difference in payments would have been vs. a 550. I don't see to many 350 dumps like that because most guys want the payload of the 550. I would have thought over 60 month term that the payments would not have been crazy different.

5. EXTREMEV

EXTREMEV Junior Member

very nice truck!!

6. millsaps118

Thanks....the difference in payments wasn't a deal breaker for me on this deal. But to give you an idea, an F550 in XL trim would have meant another $10-$15K USD just in the cab&chassis alone, depending on how it was configured. This equates to approx. $19/mo for every $1000 financed @ 60mo. So your talking $190-$285 added onto your payment.

The deciding factor for me was the GVWR bumping me into a CDL category. An F450 would have done the same.

This rig will work out perfect for what I need it to do. I rarely pull over 10K.

Thank you:drinkup:

7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

sounds good, that makes alot of sense. What kind of plow and salter config are you going to go with?

8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Nice truck!

9. millsaps118

Thanks!!:drinkup:

10. millsaps118

I run an 8'2" Boss V now so I'll throw a 9'2" on this. For a salter I haven't decided yet but I know I want a V-Box in the 4yrd range. Not this year though, to late in the season to recoup my costs so I'll build a nest egg over the summer and get it all set up next Fall.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Surprised you didn't park it at an angle to so no one would park next to you!

12. millsaps118

No...No.....I parked in the back 40 so the GM of the place I was bidding wouldn't see what they are going to help pay for!:blush2:

13. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

nice truck, congratulations

14. millsaps118

15. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Nice truck, Good choice with the V10. I wouldn't want a ford diesel if it was giving to me. But there is no way I would put a 4yd spreader on it. :nono: After adding the plow and just the spreader you are close to the GVWR. Maybe 2yd tops. 4yd spreader will kill that truck in a few years. JMO

What is the dry weight of that truck?

16. millsaps118

Yep, I agree on the spreader. After doing a little research on them a 4yrd is way to big. I like to get at least a 2 yrd'er in it.

As far as weight of the truck, I have no idea. My guess would be 6-7K?

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Very nice truck!!!! I think you made a good choice on the V10. I'm considering a Ford truck (SRW 350) this yr, and if I do get one it will have the V10. BTW, I would say 2.5 yd Vbox would be max for that truck.....and empty weight should be around 9000lbs(including the bed)? givin the fact my NBS 3500 chevy dump 4x4 is 8600lbs(including the bed, which is a 10ft dropside) empty, and the Fords seem heavier duty..?....?.... Congrats!!!!!!!!!

18. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I think 9000lbs is more like it. That leaves 3000lbs for carring weight. Plow weighs approx 900, spreader another 7-900. Tech that leaves you with a carrying cap of about 1500lbs. We all know that the truck will carry more but just got to be sure with DMV now adays. Just be careful. Since this is your first dump, You really should know your weights DMV likes to bother 1 tons.

19. millsaps118

Thanks....I'm clueless when it comes to Fords, this one being my first. I've learned that the 3V V10 is no longer going to be produced. 09-10 is the last year you'll find a V10. It's being replaced with a 6.2L V8. 2002? and older were 2V and have issues with the spark plugs blowing out of the cyl heads.

Here is what I figured ball park, I'll find out for sure later when it comes time set the truck up, but I think this is really close:

Truck = 9K
    9'2" Plow w/mount = 1K
    2yrd SaltDogg Poly Spreader = 560
    Total = 10,560

GVWR on my truck is 13K.

That leaves me with about 2,440 before I hit GVWR. I know maxing out the GVWR is never a good thing (at least I don't like doing it) spreading the salt/sand on one lot will bring that weight down fast.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  20. snocrete

snocrete Banned