1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new 2005 chevy 2500 HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by vipereng2, Mar 19, 2005.

1. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

just got it its loaded all the options what plow is best for this truck

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

what kind of plowing are you planning on doing with the truck? any plow 8ft, 8.5ft, and even 9ft would work great. a blizzard 8-10 would also e a great plow for that truck. a v plow would also work work on the truck. it all depends on the type of plowing you plan on doing. :)

3. mdd

mdd Member

mind if i ask what your options/what u paid? i'm in the market for one

4. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

Hey Viper,
    Congrats on the new truck. I just got a 2005 2500HD Ext cab in January. I am running the 8' Fisher MM2. I like this plow alot. I do parking lot plowing and it holds up great. I also have this plow on one of my other trucks. I do notice my front end sits a little low but it seems this is comon among the chevys'. I am going to either turn up the torsion bars or add timbrens. If you have any other questions let me know.

5. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

everything; snowplow pack polished aluminum rims cd/casset xm radio bose 6 speaker + subwoofer, buckets seats, no leather, on star it goes on and on
    window stic was 39,000

6. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

thanks

i was thinking boss or fisher got forty acc. drive ways and 4 parking lots

how do you make the adjustment to stiffen up the front end

7. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

I am not sure how to tighten up the front end myself, but i think if you do a search on it there is info on this site. Alot of the guys on here say they have done it themselves.

8. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

dude take your truck and get the torsion bars jacked up all the way and have an alignment done. It will make the front end stiffer and raise it up.

9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Here is a site on torsion bars
    http://www.offroad-tech.com/tech/tb401/

I would not suggest cranking them all the way. That will cause alot of undo damage on parts. Most people are cranking them 5 or 6 turns and then adding Timbrens load boosters to the front. When they do this they usually only drop 3/4 of an inch or so.
    http://www.truckspring.com is a place to get Timbrens

William

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  10. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

Just have the torsion bars turned up 3 or 4 turns and add timbrens. I run a Blizzard 810 on the one 3500 and it barely sags with the plow raised. From what I have been told by mechanics that anything more than that you need a re-alignment and a much stiffer ride. Also,, much more vibration and shock on the front end
    I have already added timbrens to my 05 2500HD in prep for next season. Best $150 you can spend.

11. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

thanks guys for the info now i will doit as soon as it warmes up

12. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

You don't even have a plow so how would you know? Besides isn't plowing harder than f*ck on trucks anyway? Gee I think my mechanic that has been working on my stuff since I was 14 would tell me b4 I had him jack up my bars. Wannabe's can talk the talk but fall on their a$$ when they try to walk the walk. :cry: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  13. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I agree with ctfan. No flames inteneded but IMO dont jack your T bars as high as possible. It is a bad idea IMO. check out a post I made http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=21945&highlight=torsion on how to adjust em.

The best plow is one that has good dealer support in your area and is set up for what you plan to do.

What bed and cab config and motor?

Are you interested in a V blade? V's are pretty vrsitle in drives and such and can scoop fairly narrow withch can be good for tighter areas. A blizzard 810 looks good for bigger lots. Or if you want to stick with straight?

I prefer fisher and western V's over bosses.

14. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

:dizzy:

what about boss stright trying to get the lightest plow western pro plus is 805 lbs . fisher 717lbs xblade is 790lbs boss is 756lbs with trip edg is 878lbs
    i like the xblade put it heavy

15. ratlover

from IL

I have never ran a boss straight. I have ran a boss V. I like boss's hydralics and I think they are well built. I dont like some design stuff on thier V. I would look at a boss straight though. Western is also a good straight blade. Fisher is good too but western is a full trip witch I prefer in a straight blade. I do prefer trip edge in a V blade though. V blades can make life much easier on ya in some cases as would a blizzard. Duno if its worth the extra $$$ for you or not though. I prefer western and fisher V's. I have a 9.5' fisher V on my duramax equiped truck. I run the right amunt of ballast and have timbrens and it handles the blade excellent! Another option for some is a heavy duaty 7.5 or commercial grade 7.5(they sell light duaty in 7.5 and also heavy duty, generaly only HD in 8 and bigger) and run some pro wings. you could run a bigger blade with wings too.....

16. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

going to go with a 8ft blade

thanks you have been much help i plowed with a western be for they became fisher made didnt like it back then . i heard that boss was up and comming and was competing with fisher now the western has been up greaded by fisher so its one of thes three 8 ft straight the v plows are much heaver

17. ratlover

from IL

I run a 9.5' V and i have a diesel witch is heavy. IMO I wouldnt chose based on weight. Dont get a blizzard 8611 but dont be afraid of a few pounds.

Western is still a good blade. Fisher is a good blade IMO they are just trip edge.

Western and boss are both quality plows. See witch one is better $ wise, witch has a better dealer close to you, witch mount style you like better, witch controler. Between those 2 its mostly personal prference. If you like trip edge plows then look into a fisher and figure in the same with fisher vrs boss. The x blades are slick too

18. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

thats it the dealer

boss dealer is 5 min from my house thats one reason i am leaning towards a boss :gunsfiring:

19. ratlover

from IL

If you have a good dealer that is close then thats most of the battle IMO.