1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"new" 1976 K2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by eskrima, Dec 19, 2001.

1. eskrima

eskrima Junior Member

I am going to purcahse a 1976 K2500. It has a 400 sb, an auto trans with 34000 original miles. I have two questions:

Since I drive a lot, I want to make the full time 4WD into part time. From what I understand, I can put a kit in the 203.

Can I just swap out the 203 for a 205 ?

I live at 8000 ft, work at 5000 ft, and play at 12000 ft.

Should I consider replacing the carb with an aftermarket TBI ?

2. intimidator

intimidator Member

I can't help much with the transfer case, but as for the fuel injection, its definitely worth the money. No more chokes to worry about, MAP sensor adjusts to altitude, plus everything is adjustable from the cab. Throttle response is much improved also.
    Speaking from experience, definitely the way to go. What's the difference between the 203 and 205, chain and gear drive I'm guessing. good luck.

3. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

You probably would want to swap the front hubs for auto or manual locking also. Otherwise, when driving, you would still be turning the front drivetrain.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Fuel Injection is the way to go if your going to drive it all the time.Keep the carb on if it's going to be a "plow only" truck.Aftermarket injection is expensive,and works OK.Better off finding a donor 88-94 GM pickup,van,etc,with FI and transfer over all the stuff.We have done lots of them,it's quite easy.Then when something craps,you just visit the local auto parts store,and parts are cheap and readily available.

As far as the 203 case,think twice on the part-time kit.I have two 203's which have been converted,and they both have had problems with the kit.The kit replaces the rear planetary set (diff),in the transfer case with a sliding synchro kit.The kit does not get added lubrication,and wears out quickly.If you plow hard with it,it will literally burn them up.They say to overfill the case,but it doesn't seem to help. If I had to do it again,I wouldn't convert them.Better off spending your dough on a used 205 case.Way stronger,and it is part time.Then just add a warn locking hub kit.