1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new 14 ram 2500, which plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by whynotram2500, Aug 3, 2014.

1. whynotram2500

whynotram2500 Junior Member
    from mentor

hello everyone I just bought a 2014 ram 2500 with reg cab 8ft bed first truck for me and I want to get a plow on it. I plan on plowing residential houses and small commercial lots, any advice would be great. I have 5 grand to spend but I was hoping to use half for plow and half for rims/tires but the plow is first on the list so what ever I have to spend on it is fine.. thanks in advance
    mike

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The 5K plow will buy you the rims in the spring

What are ur local dealers, let's start there.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Spinners on a plow truck? 5k will get you a nice Boss v plow.

4. whynotram2500

from mentor

I was thinking of the snow dogg v plow I think it is 5 grand installed or they have a heavy duty straight plow for 3800 installed. are these good plows?

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

OK plow for smal jobs. But you start getting into next level plowing you'll need a beefier plow.

6. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Rims and Tires.......:laughing:

Why don't you run the stock equipment and make a little money and worry about the Bling later......:nod:

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Snowdogg is fine. Those who have them love them. Those who don't have any experience with them hate them

8. Defcon 5

Those that have had them.....Hate them also....:eek:

9. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

From my (limited) experience with Snowdoggs, they seem well built and reliable for the price. They seem to run a few hundred dollars cheaper than the equivalent Boss or Fisher

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You can say that for any brand lol.

11. Defcon 5

Yes......You Can....:salute:

12. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Disagree with Grandview and anybody else that bad mouths the Snowdoggs. I run a 9'-6" v on mine. Ran it LOTS of hours and in large and small storms and had absolutely zero problems with it. Stainless always stays looking nice and clean without all the rust the others get on the skins. Truth be told there really are no "bad" plows out there anymore. Any can give you fits in a given situation, but none are "bad". All of the brand wars that people start crap over is just that, crap.

But you won't find one for five grand installed either, unless it's used.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Fancy tires and rims are one of the worst things to spend money on. Make money with the truck first and dress it up along the way. Spend the $5k and go buy a nice plow for that nice new truck.

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

This is the best thing you can do, that is, if you have to work for your money
    Is to take the $5G and go buy a plow truck.

In one year of plowing will age your truck 2-3yr
    Easy.

And it can get dented and scratched your first time out.

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Yes......this. Good call.

16. Ryank

Ryank Senior Member

you can put a plow a the truck for 2500, but its not gonna look very good, especially considering you have a new ram 2500, so i'd go with a new plow as well, stainless v personally. and buy the wheels and tires once it makes you money.

17. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I would buy the tires and rims. Forget the snow plow. You want the truck to make you money so you can buy the tires and rims but if you buy them now you won't need the plow to make you money and the truck will look good.

18. whynotram2500

from mentor

Thanks for the replies. I am buying a new snow dogg Heavy duty 8ft plow and adding the wings to it for when I do commercial lots. Do I need a strobe light of some kinda as well what do you guys use when plowing. Thanks
    Mike

19. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

It all depends on your insurance company. YOU DO have insurance, right? And even if they don't require it, it's just common sense and a small expense to get one.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

buy what ever plow you want, If you buy the cheap plow, forget the rims but use the money left to buy GOOD SNOW tires.

Throw them on a set of cheap steelies and only run them in the winter. Buy a good set and take care of them and they could last longer then some plows.