1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New 07 HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jhook, Aug 19, 2007.

1. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Well, I just started working on our new 07 2500 HD ext SLE Sierra. Looks nice and has lots of power but so far the more I work on it, the less I like it. They certainly did not put any extra metal in these things. I am thinking if I back up and hit a branch, it won't scratch the paint, just go right through.

If anyone can tell me how to get at the headlight bulb without taking the whole front end off the truck, please do tell.

In case anyone is wondering, Here is how I use the beacon light switch that comes with the plow prep package. I have done this on my last couple o GM's. First off, they made it a bit easier to find the wire on the new ones. Instead of having to pull down the whole headliner to find th mystery wire, it is right up behind the switch itself. Pull off the interior light cover and undo 2 screws behind there. The whole unit will come down and the wire is tucked right up behind there. Now get this for stupid, they only put enough wire up there to reach to the interior light that is in the middle (behind the seats) of the cab. So pop that one out (not too hard) and add some wire (the green one is live, that is all I use). The what I do is pop off the top brakelight on the back of the cab and take a long stiff wire (i.e. coat hanger) stick it straight forward (through the soft foamy stuff) and it will reach right to the interior light. Now tape your wire to it and pull it back out. Once I get the wire out to the back of the cab, I drill a small hole (same as the wire) so I can actually bring the wire out through the brakelight and then I attach it to my strobe which site on my rack right there.

Probably sounds more complicated than it is - now that I have done it 3 or 4 times.

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've had my new body style 2500hd for 2 months now. I know what your saying about the thin metal. It is wafer thin as is the frame. I also do not like how they stamp folded the doors and other sheet metal. I went back with the caveat body spray wax for rust proofing and wow - such gaps and spots for rust to develop. I hope they dipped the metal well.

I'm also noticing a clunk when it shifts from 2-3 and I immediately let off the gas pedal. I've got to make an appointment for this one.

Anyway as for the head lights - there are three screws. two on top, and one between the bumper and the light itself ( that's why the dumper looks like it is mounted wrong ) for each light head. You do have to take the grill off and the bracket that holds the grill on. The light will then rotate and slide out. It takes about an hour. The unit itself is bulky and if your rushing you can damage the paint.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes I agree the body does seem thin, the frame of the truck is exactly the same as the OBS though. I find the interior is a big improvement and the new LMM has lots of power. The brake controller is also really good. Thanks for the info on the beacon wiring.

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I thought it was just me, thinking the body was thin. I don't think its thicker than a tin can.:dizzy: Maybe they should just make the body out of aluminum?:cool:

5. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Thanks for the info on the headlights. I suspected the grill had to come out. Too bad they couldn't keep them nice and simple like the last models, turn and pull two pins and the whole headlight housing comes out. But it wouldn't be progress if they didn't change it!

Certainly have no complaints about the interior and all that stuff, but they aren't any easier to work on for "do it yourself" guys that is for sure. I do like the back doors opening right up.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I am soooooo glad I didnt buy a GM! Although every damn car, truck or whatever are getting lighter and lighter (in body panels). My F250 seems decent on thickness, considering auto's today. I heard of all kinds of new Chevy's breaking and or bending the front frames last season while plowing.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The frames on the HD are the same from 01-08 and don't feel sorry for us , I feel confident I bought a proven truck. I hope your 06 is not a diesel.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  8. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Oh, I am still going to run the truck. Mostly I stick with them because I have a great dealer, they give me a fair price on the vehicles and never any trouble getting warranty even though they know I run the snot out of them plowing. Every truck has good and bad points. The engines are great, efficient, strong, I haven't had any trouble with any of the running gear and I have been happy with the trucks but I am a bit disappointed with the new ones.

9. scottL

I hope your right on the frame wesport I had drilled through it to mount side led's and it was like cutting butter. I know when I popped a hole through the floor board I had don it while I was lining up the drill. Chevy hasn't let me down before so, I hope it will not start with this one.

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

ya i love my chevy but im sorry gm has been lacking in the quality of there new vehicles... when i buy a new truck 5 years down the road it will be a dodge ram 2500 cummins.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

IMO the Classics were the best trucks GM ever made, hands down. The D-Max and ally combo is hard to beat. I can't see the NBS being any different. Everytime GM brings out a new truck, people alway say, they can't believe how light it is and it's not going to stand up. Well IMO every model change has been a big improvement.

Trust me the frame is exactly the same, I put a lift on my truck and it was for a classic

12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

dont get me wrong i like the newer chevy trucks just not the nbs 07s . and i cant stand the allison for plowing the reverse speed is waay to slow. thats why when i buy a new truck i want a cummins.

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

No diesel! I couldnt justify the extra 6k. If I was looking for a diesel it would have been Dodge! infact I was going to buy a Doge w/ Cummins Turbo but couldnt close the deal.:cry:

14. scottL

Never ever would I buy a Dodge. I've simply had too many prob's with their trans ( this goes back some time ). The company did not stand behind the repeat issues. HOWEVER, now that the Chrysler is being taken private there is a good chance the quality and pride will go back into them. Infact I believe Dodge gives a lifetime power train warranty now.

Besides unless you really, really need or simply must have diesel as your toy how can you justify the extra 6-8k in cost.....It doesn't work out.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I heard the new Dodge tranny is alot like the Ally I wonder if the R speed will be the same. The funny thing is the Ally does back up slow, but the truck's rpm is really high, so when you let your foot off the pedal, you hardly even touch the brakes and the truck comes to a stop. The guys that drive them know what I'm talking about. My GM dealer looks after me really well too, the Dodge dealer you can't even deal with them or I might have tried one.

16. chrisd

chrisd Member
    from buffalo

Let Me Ask A Question????

How Many Guys Cracked Or Twisted A Frame On A 2500hd?? If So Was It Abuse Or Normal Conditions??? I Got A 2007 2500hd Classic Ext Cab D/a With A 7/6 Fisher Extreme Vee. I Hope I Won't Have Any Problems. I See Guys Carring Heavier Plows Than That!!!!!

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That size of blade would be fine on a 1/2 t, you won't have any problem. Never had a cracked frame on any truck before. The frames are very heavy on the 2001+ HD's. If you do crack one, it's definetly abuse IMO.

18. jhook

jhook Senior Member

We cracked an 04 and an 05 frames. We carry the Blizzard 810. They are heavy and push a lot of snow. I can easily be out for over 20 hours /event with about 25 events/year. That plow goes up and down a LOT of times. The frames just can't stand up. We get them welded and carry on. The 04 went back after lease was up this spring and the 05 got totalled in an accident last month. Sooo, we just got an All New 07 and I haven't decided what I want yet. I am not sure if the new frames are built any differently or not. If not, we will get pieces welded in to help with the stress. Frames crack in the same place on each truck so we know what to look for.

You won't have any trouble with a little 7'6" plow at all. I am sure that it is the sheer weight of our plows hanging out the front of the truck that stresses the frame. You can do a search on here someplace to find pics of our trucks that I posted last winter if you are concerned about what to look for.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Holy went out and checked the frames on the 98, 01 and 02 and they looked alright. Will look at them better tomorrow. I saw the picture of yours cracked and it made me wonder. My 98 will be lucky to have 600 hrs of plowing since it was new. Thank God it doesn't snow that much around here.

20. jhook

jhook Senior Member

:nod:

We had an 89 that we ran for a few years, no problem. Had an 8' Arctic blade on it. A couple of years ago we upgraded to a Blizzard 810, the poor truck folded up within a month (ok, we did have 14 events that month). Ya, we put on 500-600 hrs per truck per season.

Oh, in case anyone wants to make a smart remark about how you shouldn't use a heavy plow like the 810 because it is hard on the truck, the extra money that I make by having that plow can most certainly cover the extra abuse to the truck. payup