1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Never Plowed Before

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kootoomootoo, Nov 14, 2003.

1. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

Never plowed before. How difficult is it and what should I look out for. How long before you guys got half decent plowing.
  2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I didnt find plowing very hard.Worse part was idiots on the streets and parking lots that cut you off or think they know how to drive in the snow and crash all over the place .You can get the hang of it rather quick.My first night out i was a little nervous of crashing and tried to make everything perfect so it took twice as long.After that it was easy besides the long nights.
  3. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of equipment do you have, and what type of plowing do you expect to do?

I have an F350 15,000 pound stake body dump with duallies and 4wd and an 8 1/2 foot Diamond plow; I'd have a tough time doing small driveways.

I do find plowing roads easy and fun, so I contract for the state. I also do my driveway, which is gravel but quite large, and a friend's long, straight paved driveway...but on his, I worry about the integrated-lawn-sprinklers on one side of the drive, and the pretty shrubbery lining the other side.

I had plowed my driveway a couple times when I signed up with the state. I got it pretty well figured out after the 2nd or 3rd storm, but I'm always learning.

Here's a major one I found to look out for: It's really true that you must be careful of your transmission. Don't be afraid to use 4lo (4 wheel drive low range), which takes strain off the transmission and engine. For a very thickly covered, long driveway, don't be afraid to go really fast and feel a bit reckless; you need momentum for it.

We had a big storm here, where my truck plowed for the state for 27 hours straight; I came home to two or three feet of snow on my driveway, and didn't know what to do. I did a little bit, and my dad insisted on taking over. He pushed as hard as he could, and then ended up rocking the truck (I don't remember if he was stuck or just trying to break a snowbank loose) and spinning the tires a lot. He broke the transmission.

Consider that the transmission ran non-stop for 27 hours, and then got abused terribly. In retrospect, I feel pretty dumb for allowing it to happen.

We had to call somebody to come and do the driveway at our other house (currently under construction), and I watched how he did it with an F250 pickup: He got as long a running start as he could, opened up the throttle, and went really fast along a driveway he's never seen. Now that's balls! It worked, he did a great job and quickly, too.

If we had put it in 4lo and floored it, we'd not have needed transmission repairs.
  4. theholycow

Speaking of idiots doing idiotic things near snowplows, I can't forget the second storm I plowed for the state. I was out on a rural divided highway; there were between 2 and 4 lanes (depending on exit and U-turn lanes) and wide shoulders; and I was with 2 or 3 BIG state trucks with wing plows on both sides. We were doing the whole road all at once.

You would think a "professional" CDL-licensed big rig driver would wait behind us on the clean pavement. Instead, he constantly tried to pass us! I couldn't believe it. It's impossible to pass us since we've got the whole width of the road covered in steel, and the snow is 8 to 12 inches thick in front of us. How did he expect to get a tractor with a 53 foot trailer around us?

In the same storm, long after sunset, I saw a guy on the same highway on a bicycle! Not a mountain bike with knobby tires, even, but a road bike (narrow, slick tires, and aggressive posture that makes it hard to see up the road at all). He was somehow able to make that bike slog through 1 foot of snow in the shoulder of the road.
  5. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

youll do fine once you go out a few times youll get it.just think befor you do questions to ask your self.
    if i angle the plow where is the snow gonna go i know it sounds stupid but snow will act differntly if it real wet or fluffy.example if the snow is fluffy it will probably go go the dirrection you want it to if its really wet it just falls off either side of the plow. are you gonna burrie any cars if you angle a certain direction are there any obstacles where are gonna put snow whats the best way to get it there?just think it through youll do just fine.dont do like me and say why isnt my truck doing so well and then look down and say oops forgot to put it in 4 wheel drive:eek: good luck
  6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

Just went and looked at a 95 Chevy 2500 4wd with power angle plow and 50000 miles. They want around $11000 for it though. I would prefer a dump druck but how difficult is it to see out of it plowing.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2003
  7. theholycow

I can't see a damn thing out my dumptruck windshield while plowing, but a pickup wouldn't do any better; the snow flies up off the plow and onto my windshield.

I bought a deflector but it doesn't help much.

$11,000 sounds strong for that truck.
  8. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

if snow is flying on to your window in a pick up truck its time to slow down