1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Never Bid A Road Before...

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by MikeRi24, Sep 19, 2011.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Got this private road with some driveways on it to bid...this is new territory for me. I am going out tomorrow to get some EXACT measurements. It would be a 3" trigger, no salting, just plowing. Its a package deal they want one price for the whole thing all the driveways included. How do I look at this one? Price the driveways individually and then figure the road is worth X number of driveways and price it like that? I dont even know where to start with it. Thanks in advance!

Lyman map.jpg

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You using that 7-6 blade for the road?

3. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

If I get the road, one of the 2 trucks is getting a larger V-blade, I just havent decided which yet. The width of that road looks deceiving, its actually not much wider than a 2 car driveway. When I was a member of the firehall, we were told that NO fire apparatus, including the F-550 band-aid wagon, was allowed down that street because it wouldnt fit, if that tells u anything.

4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Road plowing is not like driveway plowing. I have one that we do, with a nice circle turn around at the end - like yours.

Check for things on it that you might hit if its uneven.

No backing up, hammer down - plan on 3 swipes (in, out, in) then start your driveways (unless you got a tonne of snow fall. (We use a 8.5 or a 9 plow with buyers wings - depends who gets thier first).

Any big storms come back after the event is over and wing it back.

I would plow roads all day and night over parking lots.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  5. grandview

Only problem you have is ,that you may not be able to throw the snow back far enough off the road. So have a plan for a snowblower or skid steer to push it back.

6. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Sounds like my sex life......:laughing::laughing::laughing:

7. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

ROFLMAO

and never had the problem in the great white north with not being able to wing it back enough. Had to run the plow a couple inches off the ground and drive on the edge of the grass/pavement - but with the wings most of my plows are 11 ft wide

8. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Theres enough open room off the sides to really throw it back, so that shouldnt be an issue. Also, the open area inside the circle at the end has plenty of room for snow too. Did I mention theres no curbs? Thanks for the info guys, anyone have any insight on pricing? or at least where to stat with it?

9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Pricing always starts from your costs.

What are they?
    Whats your average snow fall and plowable events?
    How long do you expect to be at the site?
    What profit margin do you aim for?

It is convienient, road and multi driveways together. The only mess from the road to clean up is whatever you created.

10. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Ok, I looked at the place more closely tonight. The main road leading in is no wider than a 2.2 car driveway. When I was pulling in there was a Suburban parked on the one side of the road and getting my truck by was a tight fit. When the road makes that sharp turn, from there around the whole circle, its only about as wide as a 1-car driveway. From the main road to the bend is .1 mile, and the circle is a little less than .1 mile.

11. grandview

Figure out the bid in 2 parts,one how much for each driveway, then the price for the road.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

With a 3" trigger and no salting you could have some fun with packed snow. If there is a 2" snowfall and a couple of days later another 2" snowfall do you get to plow? If not all that snow packed to the road could make for some tough scraping?

13. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Yea that could easily get interesting real quick. See if you can get some kind of language in there for situations like this. We have a 3" trigger at our townhouse and we had multiple 2" snows that were packed down with a 4" on top of it that they came out for so they were definaty struggling.

Posts like "CET's" make plowsite invaluable!

14. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I think I might do something like a 2" road trigger, 3" driveway trigger. Does that sound reasonable? If theres only 2" I could plow that road with just the 1 truck in prob 20 min. it wouldnt be much, and it would save me the headache.

15. Landgreen

Landgreen Member

I would try to talk them into a 2" trigger. 3" is high and like mentioned will lead to difficult scrapes especially on a warm day peeling up gobs of hardpack.

As far as estimating what to charge, I would drive up and down as if you were plowing it and track the time. I even go through the motions of pushing the piles etc. I can normally nail my time dead on then multiply by hourly rate. You might be suprised how quick you could plow that road. 20 minutes is plenty IMO.

16. wnwniner

wnwniner Member

I got my start plowing roads first and would do them in a heartbeat over parking lots any day. Just like the other post-plow to the right, down and hammer it. Easy as cake. One thing to consider is if they would let people park on the road during a snow event-getting around cars would slow you down. Cant tell you how to bid the drives, but consider this-if you had to bid the drive at the back, you'd have to drive back there to do it, so all you do now is leave the plow down as you drive back into the neighborhood. Not much more work, right?

17. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Road plowing is fun! Until you hit the drain with your v plow and it bends the a frame. (unless it trips)

18. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

I would probably charge 300-350 to plow the entire thing.

19. grandview

Little low for a seasonal price.;)

20. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Why in the world would you put a 7.5 foot plow on a 2500? if you angle it, you're not clearing the width of your truck...