1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

never another track blower for me

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dirt digger, Jan 1, 2006.

1. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

Got an unexpected 4 inches the other night in the mountains, so I went out snowblowing. Long story short the left side track came completely off (track, rollers, everything)…looked at it and the pin that holds the sprocket onto the axle sheared. OK, easy fix…its happened on my wheeled blower before, 5 minutes and I’m back and running, or so I thought. Getting the tracks off was a complete pain, then I had to shift the axle to the left, then wedge my hand in a space way too small. Ran out of patience because the ball was about to drop. Shoveled the snow and loaded the thing into my truck and brought it home…gotta go fix it now, anyone else have these problems?....the machine is an MTD 5/24...these things are just so much upkeep and difficult to work on, from now on its wheeled blowers.

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I have never liked tracked blowers, but you always need chains on the wheeled blowers. You can never win!

3. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

MTDs are made so once it breaks, you go and buy a new one.. that's MTD idea. So they can make money.

4. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

As a matter of fact, my brother in law called me about 2 weeks ago cause he "had" the same MTD tracked blower with the exact same problem except this was the 4th time in two years the track has come off and he is not mechanically inclined so he has had to have a local power equipment company pick it up and fix it and deliver it back to the tune of much $$. He asked me what he should get that was indestructable cause he was getting rid of it and getting something else. I told him to look at the Commercial Simplicity Line. He bought a 13.5 HP one and is "Very" happy with it. He has a very long driveway. To bad I didn't see this post sooner. He offered me the tracked blower for nothing so I could have had a parts machine for you, but he told me that they were going to give him $100 toward the new one on a trade. I told him to take the $100 and run.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Buy ariens with snowhog tires, no chains needed. Awsome machines!!

6. Mtd

Mtd= Made To Die

7. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

Well i fixed it :dizzy: ...the drive chain came off the main sproket too. The tracks were fine, it was the sproket that attached to the axle the contected to the rear drive wheel of the tracks. The cheap pin that was in there came out and i put in a heavy bolt instead. It won't happen again, atleast on the left side. I have an old Roper wheel blower at home (32") and it is a BEAST, chains on the tires and extremely simple to work on. The MTD is only used 3 or 4 times a year, so we don't need anything heavy duty up in the mountains.

8. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Tracked snowblowers-not here!

Hello

Weither it's an MTD or not, you will not find one in this area. We had several tracked and wheeled. I know after the tracked models got run here (private community) they slowly started showing up at the shop after the guys got some time with them. At first everyone thought they were neat and practical, then no one wanted to get stuck with them. All the comments came back to a common complaint that as soon as you missed some snow and the tracks got on it, they wanted to climb and miss more snow. Reverse was used alot as we had to back up and redo the area. We had much better luck with the wheeled units. There is not one tracked unit left here anymore.

J & B

9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

MTD: Most Troublesome Driveline. Sorry, I'm bored.:gunsfiring:

10. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I had a White brand, made by MTD. I was stolen a few years back, but that thing was awesome. I would love to have another one. I used it for 3 years with no problems.

11. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have 2 track blowers. One is a Cub Cadet 10/32 which I have had for 6 years, it does about 3.5 miles of sidewalks each time. The steering clutch went out last year, $25 fix ,no big deal. The other one I bought this year used for $200. 8/28 Sears.It had a bad friction wheel, $17 fix. I like the track machines:nod:

12. Henry

Henry Member

I had to buy a tracked machine 2 years ago in the middle of a huge weekend storm. I couldn't get a drive cable for my wheeled blower anywhere and the only new machine available was a honda. $2800.00 later I had the heaviest 24" blower you could get. The thing was a beast but no one wanted to run it, they would rather use shovels. Sold it last year for $2400.00 but the 10 year old white is still ticking.