1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Neutro-wash vs. salt-away

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mike ward, Jan 9, 2014.

1. mike ward

mike ward Member

We do a lot of salting and are having trouble with the corrosion on all the metal and wiring on our trucks. We buy alum and stainless when possible. have you used either of the above products or compared them> the neuto-wash is 36.95/gal and dilutes at 8:1. The salt away is $45/gal and dilutes at 256:1 at the heavier rate.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Baking sota and water.
    Mix in a bucket and spray it threw your pressure washer like you would soap.
    It neutralizes salt.

Wash with the mix, let it sit for a while then wash again with clean water and soap.

I do this in the spring then I park the truck over a lawn sprinkler.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

last year we did a fire cleanup on the nuclear submarine. we use a product call hold tight 102, samples were taking before and after removing any salt residue. I can let atest to the fact that stuff works excellent. it's now available at Sherman Williams

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Hold tight. Ain't that a song

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

damn it man I just google that.

didn't know Justin Bieber was your type of music.....to each their own I guess now I have to delete you out my phone

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You mean were not bestties anymore. Ah darn

7. mike ward

mike ward Member

Anybody use the Hold Tight 102 on cleaning salt rigs? Looks like good stuff!

8. syzer

syzer Member

Curious about this too. Blue Moose had a great video on their cleaning method after a storm. Nice and thorough. Ill try to find the link.

9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I've heard that you can use CLR household cleaner as well. I've yet to try it, but I thought I'd look on the companies website before experimenting

10. mike ward

mike ward Member

we spend 40-60 man hrs cleaning after a storm but the salt residue is still there and corrosion is still a big problem. I have used the neutro wash but it is expensive and only dilutes 8:1 the other two products mentioned above dilute at much higher rates. I think I will try the hold tight and see how it does.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I use Salt a Way after every storm, It's easy and works well.

12. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Mike Ward did you try the Hold Tight yet, im ready to buy the salt away gallon on ebay. This year has been a very cold and salty season.

13. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Basher, do you wash the trucks first and then do salt away? Or just wash with salt away.

My trucks are both always full of road grime and salt, so Im sure they is an ordered process that works best to remove, all the dirt and salt???

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I will rinse the crud off than cover with Salt-a-way day after regardless of weather. I rinse top, bottom, in the stake holes, open the hood, spray the radiators, etc. Once I'm ready to pull the plow/spreader I wash it good and when I'm done rinse with a protective coat of SaW, leaves it looking dull but that washes away once the road salt clears.

A oscillating sprinkler is a good way to clean/rinse/protect the undercarriage.