1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

neutral safety switch

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Garet, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Garet

Garet Senior Member

How do you go about bypassing the neutral safety switch on a 73 Chevy K-10 th350, 350?

thx

garet

2. Garet

Garet Senior Member

nevermind

I didn't know the switch was that involved in the starting process. Would be a bad idea.

Garet

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Garet - glad to see you "caught yourself". I wouldn't recommend bypassing the switch either. Just out of curiosity, why were you thinking of bypassing it? If it isn't working properly, it may only need to be adjusted - I had to do that to mine this winter when the backup lights started to work "part time".

4. Garet

Garet Senior Member

just needed..

to get my truck started and ran a little to see if the front end I just put in is working properly. How do you adjust the switch by the way? I have another from a different truck but I would prefer salvaging the one that is in it for now.

5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

OK - looking at a service manual (genuine Chevrolet one for 1977 light trucks) it says to:

Place shift lever in neutral
    Loosen attaching screws (1 at each end of the switch into the column)
    Rotate switch on column and insert .096" dia gauge pin to a depth of 3/8" (diagram shows it going into the top centre of the switch)
    Tighten attaching screws.

Basically, get the shift linkage in neutral & centre the switch up to match. Actually changing it doesn't too involved anyway, by the time you go to adjust it you're 2/3 of the way there.

BTW, did everything work OK in the front end? Hope it did.