1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Neutral Safety Switch???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bsmitty, Aug 15, 2010.

1. bsmitty

bsmitty Member
    from Chicago

Looking for some help here. I have a 2000 GMC 3500 1 ton dump that doesn't turn over. I checked voltage and everything with the starter and I am thinking it might be the neutral safety switch. Can anyone tell me the location of the neutral safety switch, and how can I tell if it is bad? Please help I am really frustrated at this point. The truck was running and starting fine until the other morning when I got in it turned the key and nothing. All of my gauges and radio work fine checked the battery and that was all ok. PLease help.

2. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Try shifting into neutral to start. The switch is located on the driver side of the trans just above the pan. I have seen a few corrode from the back side against the transmission.