1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nervous

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Snow, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

well, its not snowing here yet. spending my time signing on new customers and surfing the net.

my stomach is full of butterflies right now. this happen to anyone else or is it a rookie thing?

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I still get them too just don't know how to plan my day.Do i do regular work or just sit and wait .What if i'm far away when it starts to snow .But then every thing works out .

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting post,I can't sleep during a big storm if there are driveways i have not been to,sometimes the snow piles up so fast you can't get to all of them,i will lay down but my mind won't stop!so back up i get and out the door,so much for sleep:D

4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I still usually get all wound up and have a tendency to start plowing too early . But hey its your time and better off early than late its easier on the trucks

5. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Been doing this for years, and yes I still get nervous, trying to get all the equipment ready, fueled up, and finally trying to get some sleep... Hell that never works... Good luck all you southern guys, we are only expecting 4-8. Weve been dry for a few weeks... Damn it all....

Rick

6. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

Your right about that, I try to sleep but if there is more to be done my mind won't stop so it is useless to try and sleep. I have been doing this for 3 years and I am still nervouse every time but it all works out one way or another. You are only one person just take your time because when you rush sh!t happens and it only makes it worse. I found that out the last storm when I hit a tree in the back of my truck and have to replace a bumber (but thats what they are there for), I also broke my passenger side window, and got my truck stuck off the side of a raised gravel driveway. Live and learn

7. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I agree... I can't tell you how many rear bumpers I have gone through.... I think I have tested them all...

Rick

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It was kind of funny. This is my third year, too and I figured it would be "old hat" by now. But the first snow of the season I was up at 3:00 and sat around drinking coffee and scanning PlowSite for two hours before I headed out.

9. mowahman

mowahman Junior Member

It's definately a rookie thing. After 25 years of plowing, I still get that feeling everytime it's predicted to snow. Do this long enough and you will be waking up just as it starts to snow and think you're late. It's all part of the job, just enjoy it. I get the same feeling when the deposit hits the bank account!!!!

10. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

i should be alseep right now, it's 10:00 and we're going out at 3:00am, there saying 18-24" it's just hard to get to sleep cuz i'm wound up. Been working all day getting trucks fixed and backhoes fueled up. My mind is just racing thinking of whats gotta get done. Anyway i gotta go try to get some sleep. later:waving: :sleeping:

11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

when it's will start always gets me nervous if it's early will i wake up in time

12. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Butterflies

Yes, I too get nervous. Never had a big storm yet where I didn't have the butterflies in the stomach as I pulled out of "the shop" and into the snowy night. Remember PLOWMEN, it is us against nature. Drink plenty of water, eat regularly, plow with a window open so you don't get carbon monoxide poisoning, dress warm, and if you get wet change as soon as possible. Keep a blanket in your truck too. A half hour's sleep works wonders if you get too tired, but engines off when napping in the truck. You could die otherwise with snow up to your exhaust system and windows closed.

Take your tools, spare parts kit, crying towels, and whatever else you need and pack it in the truck before you go to bed tonight. A small blue poly tarp is also good if you have to lay on the ground for any reason.

Be careful, be prepared - in these monster storms there is no one out there to save your butt.

13. farmertim

farmertim Member

Nervous?

How bout your watching a movie and a snow scene comes on and your gut knot's up and you look out the window to make sure it ain't doing it here like it is in the movie!!!!!!:eek:
    We have had so little snow this year I'm begining to worry I'm going to wake up soon to a blizzard that was over three days ago and I over slept!!!!
    Good luck east coast plowers, your gettin our snow!
    Tim :)

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My stomach's churning on this one too, I saw the radar. Our one inch accumulation has changed to 12 to 24" with whiteout conditions. I've got everything ready, but it's 1 degree outside. Will the equipment gel up? Will I be able to stay up with it? I've been at it for 25 years and the big ones always work me up. I've always managed to get through them, but I fear failure.

I should feel a little better knowing I've got the snowblower in reserve, it can take on anything that's dished out. I'm still nervous though.

15. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

16. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

good luck guys, my thoughts are with ya...sing that old high school fight song against mother nature.
    fight ,fight ,fight......good men never quit!!!
    dan

17. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I get those butterflies everytime its supposed to snow. I worry about what could go wrong etc, but as soon as I start up the truck, the butterflies go away, and we just go go go. I can never sleep, maybe 1/2 hr at a time, I'm always looking out the window to see how much has accumulated, or if it has stopped. I've plowed for 6 years, and its always the same thing, so I guess its part of the job.

18. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'm covering for someone who is on vacation with his family, and I've never plowed his route before, just drove through it with him. I'm gonna have my fingers crossed the whole time this storm.

19. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

praying for ya

Ok fellows been watching the weather out there all weekend and if i was out there hell with butterflys i would have birds flying around , I think the same way has all post here. Pelican all day yesterday i thought of you for some reason i thought you were going to the 500 , keep telling my wife you must be freaking out down there with the storm up home , Also i think like you has far has break downs no matter how new they are or how well maint is done this kinda storm you guys are dealing with is gonna tax your equipment and you, All this said ill be praying for all of you guys out on the east , take a deep breath relax be safe i wanna see ya all back on here the end of the week.

God speed boys

p.s wisc, upper Ill, minn, and of course mich maybe are day will come sometime.

Pelican run POWER SERVICE in those powerstrokes you wont have to worry about gel ups.

20. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

it's worse now that it's snowing.........