1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Neighbours Called the City On Me....Ideas?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by PIRATE, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

PIRATE Junior Member
    from Toronto

Im pissed

I got a letter stating that I have to get all my stuff off my property from the city. (Toronto)

Yes it is a residential zone but this time last year I was just some shmoe with a truck and plow. This year I have 2 trucks with plows , one has a salt hopper and I have a trailer for lawn cutting.

My options with my thought on them are:

1. get a shop/yard - really dont think I can afford it for a couple more seasons of lawn and snow work, would love this and was in the grand master plan but this is to soon.

2.Rent a shop /yard - think its a bad idea to rent . how will I ever afford option 1 .

3.local empty parking lot - I run diesels ...were to plug em in ?

4. Drive in storage - not that close to me oh and i cant fit the trucks in their "average height " doors.

I dont know how long I have before I get fined and or worse.

Im in North York (Bathurst n Finch) if anyone can think of a local solution that would be great.
  2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

that sucks.

my neighbor did that too...

what I would do is first call the city/county and see what you are allowed to keep there and what you would have to do to be legal...maybe using magnets to cover your signs, and a tarp to cover your spreader... this might get you buy for a few months.

also ask who called it in and send them a nice holiday gift.
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

A little late for this...but I would have checked local laws and such before hand. I am thinking you need to find a friend with storage or maybe talk to the city and explain its only temporary til you can do something different.
  4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

First off check with the City to see what the rules are.

Are they registered in your name? or in the business name? Around here, if they all have plates and are insured, then you are ok. Are they all parked on a paved surface or on the grass?

I would also find out who complained. You should have the right to know who it was. What you do from there is your business.

Also around here every one has their boat in storage. You should be able to do that with your trailer and it is fairly cheap.

PIRATE Junior Member
    from Toronto

everything is unmarked. one truck under business name other under my name. NO commercial vehicles or even personal trailers???????? thats what the notice said

I spoke on the phone to the enforcement officer. He was a nice guy . We spoke of how pretty much every second street in my area has a guy like me with trucks, plows trailers and how it is illegal. However, he said they let it go....until there is a complaint which they must follow up on. So F$%K my loser neighbors. I know which one it is but what am gonna do?, I have to much to loose being a business owner now. It would be a different story if I had nothing to loose.
  6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

do you have any family near by ? park there for awhile than 1 by 1 bring them back LOL
  7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

No personal trailers is crazy. Any body with a boat in your neighborhood? Jet ski or snowmobile trailer

What if it wasn't your business and you drove the business truck home? You could get a ticket. That is crazy.

What is the fine? It might be cheaper than storage. LOL
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I hear ya but you kinda put the horse in front of the cart.I rent a storage garage for the stuff that wont fit into my trialer when I store it for the winter. Luckily a friend has a plastic shop where I can put the trailer. Next season I am kinda partnering up with another guy who has access to a huge garage, and thats going to be our new location. We live in the city and a nice part of town and I even hate coming home and seeing stuff laying around here and there. My suggestion.....rent a self storage garage, just for a year or so, find somewhere to hide your trailer and just keep the trucks at your house. How can they tell you you cant have 2 vehicles! Just keep everything low key and clean.
  9. go plow

go plow Senior Member

if you pay your taxes, and reg. they cant tell you that you cant own two trucks.call and say that the guy down the road has a bmw and a lexus and you dont like looking at them when you go by. see what they say.. here as long as they are legal, nobody can tell you to move them and your allowed one un-registered vehicle per property.. i would go and find all the people who have boats, two cars, a trailer to take things to the dump and write it all down and then go back and complain and tell them that unless all theses people move their cars etc. that they can take their fine an stick it!
  10. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

what if you register both vehicles to be non-commercial...?
    and check out what the fine is... they have those redic codes here but they're hard/rarely enforced...

recently there was a storm here an a guys house was about to fall into the water...town said he couldnt disturb the area as it was protected...he gave the town the finger... they fined him but the code was so old it was like pennies...

Good luck
  11. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

so park one in the street and tarp your trailer and put it out of sight from the road
  12. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

My neighbors have to look at my stuff also...one neighbor I plow for free...and they bring me over a 4 course dinner almost every time. Another neighbor (that I worry about) I give perennials to when I have left overs from jobs I've done...she bakes me cookies. A little insurance that goes a long way, and no skin off my nose. If I had to look at all my crap I'd probably have something to say also. I do worry sometimes, as I have friends this has happened to also. I've seen a lot of people go through this and usually can find a solution.
    Consider posting some pics if you want (or not) of the property and items in question, then you may get some free ideas as to some possible solutions such as : types of screening, strategic placement, ect...or give a sense as to what is visible.

I've seen a lot of crafty ideas and have designed/built a lot of my own. Maybe a couple privacy fence sections or a hedge for example. In the meantime I would comply the best as I could, because if it looks like your making an effort they tend to back off. Most cities don't usually want to play hard ball and only want to satisfy the complaint. The ones that like to get hard nosed are usually the ones that get hit the hardest...play w/ the bull...get the horns.
    I tend to follow this philosophy: "It's sometimes easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission".
  13. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Give me a call.

416 737 8978
  14. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Fill the neighbors (person in question) driveway with all the snow on the entire block. Then let him bit%$
    I have a neighbor that must be related to him. I had to go rent a building, and park all my stuff there. I did find a great deal on the building, but thats not the point. All my stuff sat out back of my house in front of my rear garage 1 block off the street in a private drive. Want to take a guess on who had to hand dig about 6 feet of snow last winter? lol
  15. PIRATE

PIRATE Junior Member
    from Toronto

ITs so hard to get in contact with anyone at the bylaw. The call back time is ridiculous. must be making lots of busts to get the year end quota.

I have been having those owning a shop dream again. Common Salt worthy weather.

call you tomorrow Jon
  16. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

you should put your trailer away and that is it the trucks i would just leave there if you have another complaint then move the commercial truck and tell them to f off. then plow the neighbour in question in with the whole block of snow as posted earlier.

or just go up to the neighbour you think it was and ask them why the hell they would call and what the fuc the problem is.
  17. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

My neighbor did the same thing i was cutting gras for him the guy owes me like 300 bucks i have the contract. So i calld he didnt answer or return calls so i stopd mowing. Well then he calls hes like i have a party coming up you need to mow i said you need to pay ur bill. But he calld the city hes the only person on the whole block everybody hates. But it wasnt about my trailer and truck it was about all the stuff my dad and i have around here. So my truck and trailer we just inoccent victims. I rentd a skid drop a few tons of gravel put my trailer between my house and a stand of trees we cleand up some stuff that we didnt need. And i told him the next time he lookd at my property it would be his last. I think people should mind there own stuff
  18. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I know what we'd all like to do! Sucks that we can't. I think I would plow everyone or as many people as you reasonably could on your street for free, except the the neighbor that called on you. Don't do it everytime just once or twice. Keeps all your other neighbors happy and sends a message to the ****** bag.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Perhaps just ask the neighbor if he did call. And say "is it really a problem?" if he says yes then try and adress the problem.. try and work something out, like its going to be pretty hard for me to find a shop right now, can you bite your toung till winter is over. Im trying to be neighborly here, and I thought you would be also, so I dont appreciate you calling when you could just come talk to me. How can we work this out?

If they wont admit that they called, then they are going to cause you more grief, better find a place to keep that stuff.
  20. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I is just irritating when people do what they do. My neighbor called the city on me for 3 dead trees, which none of them would even effect her, now i have 30 days to take them down, or the city pays someone, and adds it to my taxes. She was mad at me for hooking the chain for my dog on her fence, so she is out for blood now. I will get her next year when she does not maintain her fence.:drinkup:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.