1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Neighbor Complained I Plowed at Night

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by darryl g, Jan 3, 2011.

1. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

This is my 10th season plowing and I have never had a complaint about what time I plow at, let alone on my own property. My attitude is that plowing is basically an emergency service, and although I try to be considerate, I plow whenever the storm dictates.

So during the Dec 26/27th blizzard here in the northeast I rolled out at about 9:30 p.m. with about 3 inches on the ground. This is a bit of a unique situation...see I have 30 acres of land with a main driveway that runs down to my house off one road than then goes about 1/2 mile across the back of my property to another road which I call my back access. 600 feet down my back access is a house that's wholly embedded (i.e. landlocked) in my property. They have a right-of-way, which according to written agreements they are responsible for maintaining. I usually just plow the apron and a small turn-out/parking area that is located about 50 feet in. (This is mostly because the apron is shared by one of our volunteer fire department captains/EMTs who lives next door and I want him to be able to get out at all times). I let my embedded neighbor take care of the rest of the access, per the written maintenance agreement (I used to plow it for them, that's another story, lol) and then I just pack a set of tracks down the rest of my roadway leading to the back of my house. We like to leave this back stretcch of driveway snow covered for cross country skiing and snowshoing. The only time it gets plowed is when my plow takes the top off even with it all the way up.

So, I get there about 10:00 and plow the apron and the turnout near the road and pack my tracks down past this embedded house and beyond, turn around and head back out on my route. Two days later I run into my neighbor downtown and he's all pissed off that I was down there at 10:00 p.m. I pretty much told him that it's my property and I'll go down there any time I please. He told me that I have no business being there after dark, lol. I guess he doesn't realize I walk my dog down there past his house in the dark nearly every night...it's a nice 1 mile stroll there and back and my little Beagle boy loves it.

Am I being inconsiderate going down there at 10:00 pm? I didn't even have the plow down! I was just putting in a set of tracks and it's my freaking driveway. Granted it's not my main access, and there was no emergency in me getting a set of tracks down there, but still it's mine and I feel if I want to drive down there thats my business. It's not like it was 2 a.m. or something, but even then I think he'd have a lot of nerve to be complaining. I share my main driveway with another house who has a right-of-way across that section and it has never ever been an issue of what time any of us come or go.

Well, I have to head out to the post office to mail some invoices. I think i'll go out the back way, lol.

Edit: Wow, didn't realize this was so long..sorry guys!
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I think I'd make it 11 or 12 next time, then he would be happy with 10.
  3. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Darryl, your neighbor and I would not get along I would probably tell him to go piss up a rope and proceed to plow the hole damn road at 3am each and every time it snowed.
  4. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

I would take the mufflers off my truck.

Most city ordinances for noise abatement start at 23:00

However, if that neighbor would have asked for my cooperation because it can wake up the baby or whatever, rather than turn it into an angry confrontation; then I would probably be more than happy to oblige.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  5. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

sounds like he didnt get what he wanted for xmas
  6. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

My truck has no muffler or cat and the turbo whistles really nice at 12psi of boost.:D
  7. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Is your last name Hatfield or McCoy? Time to start a new pissing contest. I would plow the entire damn thing every day and ensure that it sloughs off right into his driveway.
  8. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I have a customer that has a neighbor that doesn't like my customer's lot to be plowed before 7am. It's a new customer and one of the conditions of me getting the account this season. Last year the guy would plow at 3am so the guy in the house would then call the owner of the lot and tell him if he had to be awake so would the owner. Not too bad for me to accomodate as I just make it my last stop and they don't get to work until 8:30 anyways.
  9. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

i'd plow it every nite even if it didn't need plowed.
  10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I don't get what he is complaining about... is your truck super loud He just sounds like a dick in general. F him.
  11. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

Air Horns . just a quick toot to let him know you were there every time you go by.
  12. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

I think he really just doesn't want me down there. He thought he had a nice private spot down there, only to find out that some landscaper dude and his family use it for their private outdoor playground. See, the realtor told him that he owned the 50 foot wide accessway and my property was open space before he shelled out $640K for this place 5 years ago. It's a nice 6 room 2,750 square foot colonial with all amenities, but wasn't worth anywhere near what he paid for it. Seems somehow that he didn't notice he's only about 150 feet from Interstate 95 either. The guy is pretty much a grumpy old retired cop who spends most of his day down at the convenience store scratching lottery tickets and beeching and moaning.
  13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing knows no hours----plowing knows no hours---put this message for him facing his house with 12'' letters in neon red on a full sheet of plywood!!!!!
  14. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

My truck is a stock 2003 Silverado 2500 HD. The thing purrs like a kitten. Didn't even have my strobe on. Where I did drop my plow is over 500 feet away from his house.

Well i'm inspired now. Gonna go drive thru the back on my way to town to get these invoices out with the first of the morning mail. Maybe I should dig that drainage ditch near his house out on the way..it's getting kind of silted in, lol.

15. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

some people just love to be A$$ holes. :eek::dizzy:

and the fact is we the nice guys get dumped on. :angel:
  16. wva

wva Member

those fine folks were from southern wv not :laughing::laughing: ct not that there's anything wrong with ct
  17. wva

wva Member

sounds like it time to build a massive 4000sf shop to kept all your equipment in and hire some one two work the graveyard to kept it going :gunsfiring::gunsfiring::gunsfiring::laughing:
  18. Laner

Laner Member
    from IA

I had a similar issue with a motel that I plowed a few years ago. The owner also drove truck and didn't want the drive/parking cleaned until after 7 AM, when he would be awake and so would most of his customers. Most of the time this wasn't a problem, however I can't control when it snows and the street they are located on is a major highway thru town, so it gets busy starting around 5:30 AM most mornings. You try backing/pushing out into traffic without getting slammed into.
    Then he complained to the local concrete business across the street about how thier beeper on the payloader at 4 or 5 AM was uncalled for. He threatened to cut the wires on the horn so it wouldn't bother him or his customers while they were sleeping. When he started complaining that my plow was leaving white streaks on the asphalt I told him that he should find another contractor to clear his lot. I had enough!
  19. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

For most larger overnight storms, I roll out around 2:30 or 3:00 a.m. to make sure all my customers can get to work and that the factory lot I plow is cleared by 6:30 when people start rolling in. In my experience, most people are grateful that I got up in the middle of the night to make sure they could get to work. I try to work quietly, not dropping the plow, spinning the tires or hitting the gas hard and only turning on the strobe when I have to. In fact most customers tell me they didn't even hear me come and were suprised to find they were plowed out. My route is pretty tight so at that time of morning I'm usually just opening things up so that people can get where they're going. I come back and do the detail work later.

I can see where a loader backup alarm would be annoying at that time of the morning. Those things are pretty loud. But if the area is zoned industrial, it kind of comes with the territory. People have a right to use their properties within the confines of the local zoning regulations. It always gets me when people start complaining about a pre-existing condition. They buy a house next to an airport or freeway and then complain about the noise!
  20. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

We have a HOA that doesn't want us there before 6:30 a.m..... It's a giant pain in the you know what because we will send out our crews to start at 2 or 3 a.m. and we have to sit and wait to do these townhomes... We already have had homeowners call us to complain that they leave for work at 5 or 6 a.m. and they are still not plowed out... We tell them to talk to their board members, not our problem.

Some people just don't understand that weather doesn't know what "time" is. Storms start and stop when they want to, and plowing during the middle of the night is part of the situation.