1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lumps, Nov 12, 2008.

1. lumps

lumps Senior Member

So, I had a person email me asking how much to plow his driveway for the season. I write back and tell him it'll be X dollars. He replies with "I will be agreeable to [50 less than X] dollars, thank you."

So, at what point did snow removal become a negotiable price? I can see it on large businesses, but a regular driveway, seriously?
  2. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Now thats funny.

Next time I get gas for the truck, I will be agreeable to pay $0.65 /gallon.

Ask him if he wants you to do his walk for free while you're there!

Some people have more balls than brains.
  3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

haha ha ha!!!

tell him about your referral program and that he can get a account credit or a gift certificate to Applebee's for each person he refers that signs up.
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

heres one for ya.
    guy asked me last week to do his driveway. here how it went.

him . "are you looking for more accounts this year because i am looking for someone for my driveway?"

me. "me, I could use work, depends on the drive where is it?"

him. "im just down the road and around the corner. I just want someone to plow the drive and in front of the mailbox".

me. "okay. let me know exactly where it is and when i drive by i will take a look. let you know."

him. "What do you charge?"

me. "by the push. For each time i plow. how much would depend on your drive." (i could tell he didnt really understand this)

him. "so what do you think you will charge? Im willing to pay 25. I would say 15 but i understand it cost you money for gas and wear and tear."

me."that is a little low. Your killing me. I think im all set."

him. "well i dont have anyone else. They guy who did it last year didnt really want to do it and doesnt want to this year."

me. "How come he doesnt want to do it?"

him. "He just doesnt. Didnt really tell me he just doesnt."

me "i will take a look when im going by and let you know."

him." Its real easy. Just the drive and in front of the mailbox. You dont even have to come if there isnt much snow."

me. "I really would need to look at it or have at least a idea what plowing it would take. I really dont know."

him. "Do you have a business card or can i get your phone number?"

me. "I dont have business cards and i dont think i have a pen on me, we can figure it out later."

him "does so and so have your phone number? (another drive i plow). I will give you a call."

me. "yeah they have it."

him "well im not paying more than 25. I will give you a call later about it."

That is pretty close to how the conversation went. see how ambitious i am about taking this drive?
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Bri, are you sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring? LOL Its funny how you can spot the chiselers in the first 10 seconds of a conversation....I hate that s#%t!
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Everything is negotiable. It's just a matter if you want to.You could always bump the price up 25.00 and tell them if they sign now you'll lower it 25.00 .

MAR4CARS Senior Member

We get that alot in my area.I would rather stick to my price and not get the driveway than sit there and bargain.After the first time you accept their negotiated price they will always do it for other services as well.The reason i gave them the stated price is because that is what i'm worth.
  8. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Maybe the price is open to interpretation. But it is your business, your costs are somewhat fixed and he still needs his driveway done. Wait 'till the first snowfall & tell him it is now $30/push!payup
  9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

So what did you do?

Personally, IF I needed the work and IF I thought I could still make money off the account I MIGHT counter offer to meet him in the middle, or offer the price break if he gets you a couple other customers close by. This person will probably be the PAIN IN THE NECK calling you all the time about the inch on his driveway when you clearly explained what a 2 inch minimum means. Or, just tell him that at the price he offered, he will receive a lower level of service.
  10. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

and im beginning to think im not going to make it in any type of service work.
    Im just really not liking people in general. Probably why i dont have much for work this year. Im getting bad about it.
    Almost like i think they should pay me just to have them ask me about plowing something.The conversation itself is work for me. :dizzy:
    Nevermind waiting by the phone i usually dont pick up the phone at all i ignore it. Someone says they dont need me to plow, part of me is thinking "the money would have been nice" and the other part of me is thinking "thats wonderful, one less thing i have to concern myself with and one less person i have to deal with."
    For some reason i just dont care at all. I think im getting antisocial.:rolleyes:
  11. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Now your being a true Mainer. I think the term is "taciturn"!
  12. FordFisherman

from 06611

Hey Bri-Felt the same way abut 2 seasons ago. Then I found this site and with the info I've learned (especially the pro wings) honestly it made it enjoyable again. Sounds like burnout to me. Hang in there,man. Once the snow flies you'll feel better.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  13. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I think bri is definitely suffering from burnout but it has nothing to do with plowing - it is MAINE. People here have become so cheap. Especially the implants from out of state. They are use to paying high prices down in Mass. or NY or wherever and then come to Maine and think were just a bunch of rednecks who will work for peanuts. I hate to jump on the anti tourist bandwagon but... Welcome to Maine, now go home!
  14. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Ooops, forget to answer the original question....

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with negotiating, but don't tell me what you are going to pay, 'cause I've got better things to do than bend over!
  15. FordFisherman

from 06611

I forgot to answer too. I usually ask 5 or 10 bucks more than I'll do the job for and back off the price for if I can tell the person is a PIA or going to chisel me down. Most times you can tell by the questions they ask but sometimes its not so easy. Negotiating is an art, you gotta make the customer believe their getting a deal.
  16. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I hear what you are saying man. Truth is, most people are really just morons! I mean that 100%.
  17. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Why stress about this?? Leave the morons be, stick with your price, and you will get the customers that are the good ones. The ones that want the plowing done right and you make a profit. Allways going to be screwballs that want to deal, I say let them.
  18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Dang am I glad people here just ask what it will cost and pay it. I don't even call ladt years customers to ask if they want it done again this year. 90% have already called me and the other 10% I know want it done. Thank God for small town business.
  19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

20. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Unfortunately, I've gotta go with it. Can use more work right now. It's a pretty easy driveway, probably my easiest really. And yeah, hope he doesn't expect me to clear his sidewalk or anything, haha.